[b-greek] Re: Greek 101 drop outs - Follow up(christiansen)]

From: Daniel L. Christiansen (dlc@MULTNOMAH.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 17:06:43 EST

yochanan bitan-buth wrote [snipped]:

> A couple of points:
> 1. this is getting to the heart of pedagogy questions.
> It is very important to consider what you are trying to do.
> Do you want to learn a language?
> To think in it?
> To process communication fluently in it?

    Yes, Randall, I think that is exactly the kind of question one needs to

> If so, then some of the memory techniques mentioned above are probably
> off-target and not recommended, for example, when learning modern
> languages. You want words 'wired' to other words within the target
> language, not to another language and trick phrases.

    I agree. Languages are self-contained systems (I can see this opening up
another can of linguistic worms....) and thus I feel should be learned as
entities in their own right, not as translations or connections to other

> 2. There is something of an internal contradiction in Daniel's methods. The
> Lyle Storey approach is a 'memory trick technique' that would fit those
> kinds that tend to be neglected by modern language teachers, by choice.

    I left something out of my post, and Randall picked right up on it (quick
minds and eyes on B-Greek!) I agree that Story's approach fits well within the
system I am arguing against. This is why, even though one of the schools at
which I teach uses Story, I do not use it at the school where I have the
option of using whatever text/method I choose.
    I don't deny that the method is valuable--yes it works. I just don't
think it is best for the long-range goals of getting students to eventually
"think in Greek." Of course, that will get us into another thread, which we
have dealt with numerous times.

> a bottom line would be to ask oneself,
> does the technique feel natural,
> does it lead you inside the language or is it something designed to allow
> you to stay outside, in another language?

    Yes, and this may be something that cannot be answered at the 1st-, 2nd-,
3rd-year level, as the student will not have enough exposure in any case to
"get inside" the language.

Daniel L. Christiansen
Professor of Biblical Languages, Portland Bible College
Adjunct Professor, Bible Department, Multnomah Bible College
(503) 820-0231