[b-greek] Re: Perfect participle in Eph. 1:18

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 12:39:42 EST

At 11:14 AM -0800 2/10/01, Jon D. Boyd wrote:
>Eph. 1:17-18
>(17) hINA hO QEOS TOU KURIOU hHMWN IHSOU CRISTOU, hO PATHR THS DOXHS,
>DWHi hUMIN PNEUMA SOFIAS KAI APOKALUYEWS EN EPIGNWSEI AUTOU, (18)
>PEFWTISMENOUS TOUS OFQALMOUS THS KARDIAS [hUMWN] EIS TO EIDENAI hUMAS TIS
>ESTIN hH ELPIS THS KLHSEUS AUTOU . . .
>
>How is the participle PEFWTISMENOUS used in this verse? Could it express
>purpose or result? Wallace says, "since purpose is accomplished _as a
>result_ of the action of the main verb, perfect participles are excluded
>from this category (since they are typically antecedent in time)" GGBB,
>635-6. I'm doubting that Porter would agree with this statement,
>although he doesn't comment much on perfect participles in _Idioms of the
>GNT_, so I wouldn't know for sure. Any thoughts?

This may have been discussed more recently also, but I knew we'd had a
serious discussion of this before and I found it in my own archives of
January 1997: it began on January 16 with a question on 1 Peter 2:4 but
then switched to subject-header "Re: Accusative Absolute" focused upon this
particular question of how to understand PEFWTISMENOUS TUS OFQALMOUS
THS KARDIAS in Eph 1;18. The last message on it was from Dale Wheeler on
January 21, 1997. Perhaps it doesn't need to be said, but I'll say it
anyway: one should not expect to find a wholesale "meeting of the minds" on
the problems of this passage.

I am going to re-post a message that those searching older archives may
find useful--regarding what we have and where the two significant lacunae
are still present in the on-line archives; I should add that we do HAVE all
those messages belonging to the two lacunae but getting them formatted and
uploaded is a task that awaits the time to be afforded to do it.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu