[b-greek] Decker on Olsen

From: Randall Buth (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 05:31:02 EST

shalom Mark and Rodney
>Mark egrapsen:
>What Decker needs to do is find a few Imperfects that cannot INCLUDE
>a reference to the past AT ALL, but must be ONLY non-past referring.
>My observation,

I would add that non-cancelability is unicorn. Rodney also compared verbs
to cases in his paper.
Fine--consider that the five noun categories CERTAINLY map to multiple
semantic roles.
Proto-type theory is a way out of non-cancelability deadends.

Also--when comparing present imperfective and imperfect imperfective,
'remoteness' is much too weak an explanation, especially with the extremely
high 99+% correlation of imperfect with minus-future and plus-past. There
really doesnt' seem to be any question that the idicatives prototypically
code for tense in addition to aspect.

Sorry to be cryptic but i'm off to class.

Randall Buth