[b-greek] Re: Second Plural

From: Nelson D. Kloosterman (ndk@jorsm.com)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 17:59:50 EST

> jim@dardenhome.com said:
> > Does anyone know of a scripture reference where the second plural is
> > so ambiguous when translated into English (excluding the KJV) that the
> > referent is easily confused?

How about John 3:7: MH QAUMASHS hOTI EIPON SOI, DEI hUMAS GEGGHQHNAI ANWQEN.

"Do not be surprised that I told you [you, Nicodemus], it is needful that
y'all [Israel?] be born from above."

Especially intriguing as well is the combination of singular noun + hUMWN,
seeming to indicate something shared by all, as in Eph. 4:23, ANANEOUSQAI DE
EN TWi PNEUMATI TOU NOOS hUMWN. By contrast, Eph. 4:26 probably does not
refer to something shared by all: hO hHLIOS MH EPIDUETW EPI [TWi] ORGIASMWi
hUMWN.

Nelson D. Kloosterman
Professor of Ethics and New Testament
Mid-America Reformed Seminary