[b-greek] Re: 1 Cor. 1:10 - Perfect Passive Participle - ?

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 14:06:06 EST

<x-flowed>
Pastor:

You wrote:

-------
>I'm working through 1 Corinthians & hit a snag in 1:10. The word is
>KATERTISMENOI. This is a perfect Pass. ptc, that I thought - in context -
>meant ''have already been made complete." I then checked it w/ Wallace
>(page 418 - where he discusses this word in another context, & 626). I
>recognize that sometimes the perfect can be used in a more present sense
>(which is how the NIV & NASB have used it), but would it not be better to
>have it translated as I have here?
-------

I think what you have is a periphrastic construct, with the Pres. Subj. of
EIMI with this Perf. Ptc. I think of this as EIMI + PTC, and since it is a
Present form of EIMI with a Perfect Ptc, it would approximate a Perfect
finite tense.

And, I think the Perfect tense is generally to be understood as emphasizing
the PRESENT CONDITION of a situation. Here, perhaps something like "stand
united" (see below; I do not see this as Passive here).

I do want to make a brief comment on a page you quoted from GGBB (418).
Wallaces makes this statement regarding Perfect Middle-Passive forms:

"in the perfect tense, the middle-passive form is always to be taken as
passive in the NT (Luke 6:40, 1 Cor. 1:10, Heb. 11:3)."

Now, he makes this statement as he is discussing Rom. 9:22. This may seem a
bit outlandish, but I think Wallace's statement is almost exactly the
opposite. The general rule would be to take the perfect middle-passive form
as MIDDLE.

I think very clearly in this verse, the middle sense is apparent. One's
theology will determine how to interpret the controversial Rom. 9:22, but I
think it again to be MIDDLE. Same with Luke 6:40. The Heb. 11:3 is a
PASSIVE, but it is also an Infinitive. Of the 4 middle-passives, 3 to me are
MIDDLE. (I realize that Wallace's statement is theologically based, just as
my conclusions are, but it seems odd that a scholar of his reputation would
not put an asterisk by such a comment.)

So, sorry for this digression, but I noted this Perfect MIDDLE-PASSIVE
observation in a much earlier post and really thought it was insightful.

My thoughts,

Mark Wilson