[b-greek] Re: ude 7

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 13:39:04 EST

At 10:14 AM 3/28/01 -0500, Jim West wrote:
>At 11:11 PM 3/27/01 -0500, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
>>BDAG also cites Gen. 38:24 LXX, which says "EKPEPORNEUKE *QAMAR hH
>>NUMFH SOU, KAI IDOU EN GASTRI ECEI EK PORNEIAS." Given that Tamar's
>>behavior, which is characterized by EKPORNEUW, resulted in her be-
>>coming pregnant, I'd say that if EKPORNEUW has any connection to the
>>notion of inhospitality, it is that Tamar was all too hospitable.
>>
>>According to Hatch & Redpath's LXX Concordance, this verb shows up
>>about 45 times in the LXX.
>
>would you have us believe that every occurance of a word always carries the
>same meaning? Does context mean nothing? Does "light" always mean "not
>heavy, not obese"? Given your supposition about Tamar are you suggesting
>that every occurance of ekporneuw results in pregnancy? You must, since you
>imply that words always mean the same thing in spite of context.

Before you go off calumniating my response, you should take the
time and mental effort to understand that all I did was to discuss
more fully the example at Gen. 38:24 LXX for the benefit of those
who do not have the text and to point out a reference work that
may give one about 45 more leads to its meaning. If this evidence
happens to not be helpful to you, please don't shoot the messenger.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com