[b-greek] Re: Mathew 8:19

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 09:33:17 EDT

<x-flowed>

Sam:

You wrote:

--------
>The scribe in Math 8:19 ...AKOLOUQHSW SOI hOPOU EAN APERCHi...
>Since this ia a 3rd Class Condition how much doubt is there in what he
>says to Jesus?
------

Note I changed your transliteration.

It would seem to me that the degree of uncertainty expressed in a
Conditional is in the Protasis. I guess that would mean that what this
individual had uncertainty about was whether or not Jesus would depart. But
if he did, then this individual states that HE WILL follow him.

It does not appear to me that there are DEGREES of uncertainty expressed by
a 3rd class condition. Here, I would think we can conclude that if in fact
Jesus does depart, then this individual ipso facto will follow. At least
that is this individual's commitment at this stage.

Hopefully a Conditional expert will correct my thinking if needed.

Regards,

Mark Wilson