[b-greek] Re: Jn 20:9, DEI AUTON EK NEKRWN ANASTHNAI

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 00:43:10 EDT

<x-flowed>
Chuck:

You wrote/cited:

-------
From "Greek: An Intensive Course" by Hardy Hansen and Gerald M. Quinn,
section 88, page 270:

"Many of the prepositions learned thus far can be used as prefixes in order
to form compound verbs. Although quite often similar to the preposition in
meaning, the prefix can sometimes have a somewhat different force."
------

To me, a "preposition" is a part of speech; a "prefix" is not a part of
speech. You can have a preposition affixed to the beginning of a word, in
which case it is called a "prefix."

I guess it just seems to me that ANA is treated as a preposition in the
Greek NT, regardless of whether or not it functions as an adverb or
adjective.

ANA, by itself, can only function as a preposition, right? If used in
compounds, it can function like a preposition, adverb, or adjective, right?

Also, it seems to me that the comment Alan made was that ANA functioned in
the sense of "up" or "upward" by virtue of the fact that it was prefixed to
a particular verb. Obviously ANA can mean "again," but not when attached to
the verbal STASIS.

Thanks,

Mark Wilson