[b-greek] Re: Defination of Xristos

From: Rbsads@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 22:22:31 EDT

<x-html>
<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>Thank you for the question and the information about XRISTOS. A question that
<BR>is related for me concerns the frequent use of participles as nouns
<BR>identifying persons by their action.
<BR>
<BR>the coming one, the having sent me, the receiving me, etc
<BR>
<BR>These are translated generally as the one who is coming, who sent me, who
<BR>receives me. &nbsp;The use of the participle seems to have a more powerful and
<BR>active sense than the English translations, at least it does for me, the
<BR>newly studying NT Greek.&lt;g&gt;
<BR>
<BR>This question about participles relates to the question of XRISTOS as a
<BR>technical name for Jesus, and perhaps also the question about searching for a
<BR>Jewish root for Greek word choices. &nbsp;This latter is an interesting question
<BR>for me and I hope that the list has further discussion in that direction.
<BR>
<BR>Is the Greek phrase hO ERCOMENOS simply a participle noun used to identify a
<BR>person by his action, or is the phrase more to be considered a technical term
<BR>like Messiah, Son of Man, Son of God, and Christ?
<BR>
<BR>A further question, if hO ERCOMENOS is a technical term, does it translate a
<BR>Jewish expectation for a coming Messiah, someone prophesied in the Hebrew
<BR>scripture or at least from the intertestament period literature and fully
<BR>expected for consolation by many Jews in 1st c Palestine?
<BR>
<BR>Or is the term a later construction concerning the anticipated Parousia, the
<BR>2nd coming of Jesus expected to take place soon? If this is the case then the
<BR>phrase hO ERCOMENOS would have been retrofitted into the gospel exchanges,
<BR>with possible connotations of the later concerns over the delay of the
<BR>Parousia, and possibly even &nbsp;over the validity of the claims of the new sect
<BR>against more established Judaism.
<BR>
<BR>I guess my question is whether hO ERCOMENOS looks back to Jewish prophecy or
<BR>does it look forward to Christian hope. Perhaps it is not a technical term at
<BR>all.
<BR>
<BR>Again my question is whether the phrase looked back to Jewish prophecy or
<BR>forward to Christian hope at the time of Jesus or at the time of the gospels.
<BR>I am sure that today we can benefit by reading both senses into the phrase,
<BR>but my interest is in what the writers and speakers might have meant by it.
<BR>
<BR>Thanks for your patience.
<BR>
<BR>Richard Smith
<BR>ST Peter's Church
<BR>Chattanooga TN</FONT>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>