[b-greek] Re: Greek or Hebrew?

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 20:09:43 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glen L Naftaniel" <glensmail@juno.com>

> I recently received a letter from someone claiming that the New
> Testament was written in Hebrew. I had never heard such a thing before.
> I am wondering if anyone here could provide any insight. If anyone knows
> where this idea comes from or if it has any merit please let me know.

Glen,

There are patristic references to the Gospel of Mark being a Hebrew Gospel.
The references are not clear as to which direction the translation would
have been. I don't have the reference handy, but if you are interested I
can dig it out over the next week.

I am not aware of any other evidence of Hebrew originals for the rest of the
New Testament. Contrary to your forwarded message, most scholars dismiss
the idea of the NT being a translation from Hebrew.

Steve Puluka
Cantor
Holy Ghost Byzantine Catholic Church
Mckees Rocks PA