[b-greek] Re: AGAPAW/FILEW in John 21

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 17:03:01 EDT

We really should change the header when the focus of a question changes.

At 11:40 AM -0700 4/26/01, Dave Washburn wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Thanks for the information about Matthew 16:18, and quickly (before
>> this whole discussion gets cancelled) what is the other 'word play'
>> somewhere in John 21?
>
>Keith,
>The other one is an extended one in the conversation between
>Jesus and Peter, where Jesus uses AGAPAW for "do you love
>me?" and Peter replies with FILEW instead. The interplay has to
>do with the nuances of these two words, since the former means
>"do you love me enough to die for me?" while the latter means "I
>like you a lot." I'd be interested to know what the Aramaic (or
>Hebrew) words are that could have been used for this subtle
>exchange.

I don't know that we really want to renew this topic about which we have
had so much discussion on several different occasions, but it ought to be
said that the nuanced difference referred to above is by no means
universally accepted and is seriously doubted by at least some reputable
authorities (e.g. BDAG, Louw & Nida).