[b-greek] Eph 5,31

From: John Lupia (jlupia2@excite.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 18:46:04 EDT

John N. Lupia
501 North Avenue B-1
Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
JLupia2@excite.com

b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu

To: Robert I. McDole

> The phrase "KAI ESONTAI OI DUO EIS SARKA MIAN" IMHO appears to be a result

> of the "A man leaving father and mother" and "joining with his wife."  I
> have looked in Wallace and he does not list "KAI" as a possible "result."
> Is KAI just a generic translation of a Hebrew conjucntion that is "result"

> in nature?  Since many argue that EIS SARKA MIAN is a predicate nominative

> base on a "Hebraism," I thought maybe the Hebrew could have bearing on the

> conjuction as well.  Any Ideas?

Bryant J. Williams III answered as follows:

>I think the context and the quote from the LXX should be considered,
besides
>the grammatical.
>1) The passage quoted by Paul is a direct quote from Genesis 2:24 of the
>LXX. The only exception is the use ANTI for ENEKEN (it is used by Jesus in
>Mt. 19:5) at the beginning of the quote. What this signifies I do not know.

>2) KAI is continuing the thought of the Causal force of ANTI TOUTOU (see
>Blass-DeBrunner, 208-1).

However, I checked the text of Gen 2,24 in Alfred Rahlfs, Septuaginta I.
(3rd ed. 1949) 4, which reads: "KAI ESONTAI OI DUO EIS SARKA MIAN" as an
exact citation in Eph 5,31 in accordance with the best witnesses in NA 27
(6th print, 1999) 513, see text and apparatus criticus.

Peace in Christ,
John
<><

Send a cool gift with your E-Card