[b-greek] Re: Luke 23:43 - the punctuation of the verse

From: Bryant J. Williams III (bjwvmw@com-pair.net)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 12:28:16 EDT

Dear Greg:

Lk 4:21 has SHMERON following the verb, LEGW, "(HRSXATO DE LEGEIN PROS
AUTOUS HOTI SHMERON PEPLHRWTAI H GRAPHW AUTH EN TOIS WSIV HUMWN." Since
'hoti' is an indicator of direct (and indirect) discourse, then here is an
instance of a phrase that is essentially the same as 4:24 & 23:43. It also
seems from a quick perusal in the use of LEGW in Luke that Luke frequently
uses HOTI, an adverb, or the quote itself, with a pause (punctuation
understood by context) to follow the verb LEGW (3:8; 4:24-25; 7:26, 28;
9:27; 10:12, 24; et al.) Thus, it is perfectly reasonable based on the
evidence in Luke (and Acts ?) that one should translate, "Truly I say to
you, Today, you will be with me in Paradise." It is also apparent from the
gospel of John that Jesus used the phrase "Truly, Truly I say to you" or
"Truly I say to you." This would indicate that it was quite common for Jesus
to use the above phrase with a pause (punctuation) understood from the
context.

I wonder if one should also look at the use of SHMERON in Acts 13:33, which
is a quote by Paul from the LXX of Ps 2:7, "UIOS MOU EI SU EGW SHMERON
GENGHKA (GENNHKA) SE" (see also Heb 1:5; 5:5).

Thanks,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III