[b-greek] Re: The long ending of Mark

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 07:54:34 EDT

In a message dated 6/16/01 3:07:46 AM, LGO@larryoverton.com writes:

>I have a question that I know is not appropriate for discussion on B-Greek,
>
>but I don't know where else to turn. I'm hoping for some off-list
>
>direction. I am researching the long ending of the Gospel of Mark, and
>in
>
>so doing, I've found an online article favoring the long ending (Mark
>
>16:9-20). In this article, the author claims that the writings of the
>early
>
>Church provide "positive confirmation as to the authenticity of Mark
>
>16:9-20."

Again, textual critical matters are appropriate on b-greek when directed
toward a specific text. I would recommend that you join the tc-list and
journal at the following address.
http://www.ntgateway.com/resource/tc.htm
You should read also what Metzger says of this passage in "A Textual
Commentary on the GNT." You should also read one or more of the more modern
discussions of the history and introduction to TC. There is no doubt that the
ending appeared in the second century (Tatian, Diatessaron), but that does
not prove the case either way. Also any good commentary on Mark will have
detailed discussion of all three endings of Mark.

This is a most important subject and should be on tc-list.

Thanks,

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College