[b-greek] Re: Comparing ALLOS and hETEROS

From: James S. Murray (jsmurray@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 21:08:18 EDT

Brandon C Wason wrote:

> I've heard arguments for certain doctrines based on the usage of ALLOS and
> hETEROS. ALLOS can mean, supposedly, "another of the same kind," while
> hETEROS can mean "another of a different kind." LSJ seems to support the
> latter definition, while I couldn't really find support for the first
> definition (In addition to LSJ I also used BDAG). Basically, can ALLOS mean
> "another of the same kind" anywhere, and was this still being used in the
> first century? Secondly, was hETEROS still being used (at least partly) as
> "another of the different kind" in the first century? Thirdly, is there a
> *basis* for drawing a doctrinal conclusion from these types of word usages?
>
> The verse I had in mind was John 14:16. Here it says that Father will give
> another (ALLOS) Counselor- thus (so the argument goes) the Spirit is of the
> same kind (nature?) as the Son. I'm not trying to start a theological
> discussion...it's obviously not the right place for that. I am looking for
> word usage and the *principle* of drawing theological conclusions from the
> word usage. I don't want your interpretations of the verse. Thanks for your
> thoughts.

Brandon,

Many feel that by the 1st century there was little or no distinction between the two
words. As an example, you may want to check out the usage of the two words in
Gal.1:6,7; ...EIS hETEPON EUANGGELION, hO OUK ESTIN ALLO, ..... . To me, at any
rate, the two words seem to mean the same thing in this context. Hope this helps.

Jim Murray
Racine, WI