[b-greek] Re: 1 Timothy 2

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 07:46:12 EDT

At 11:21 PM -0400 8/5/01, David Bielby wrote:
>1 Timothy 2:12 Should GUNAIKI and ANDROS be translated in a way that
>references marriage instead of simple gender? Is the context a family
>context within a house Church? Should we consider translating this as
>wife/husband instead of woman/man? Are you aware of anyone who has
>tackled this issue with material available that I can read up on? I'm
>also trying to find credible information on the potential reference in
>this passage to syncretism with the pagan temple in Ephesus. Can that
>information have a direct bearing on the translation here?
>
>Thanks for helping me on this.

This is, of course, an important text that is much discussed, often quite
heatedly. Less than a week ago (July 31) Richard Ghilardi (at
<qodeshlayhvh@juno.com> )sent to the list an attached file discussing
aspects of this text. Unfortunately the attached file appears as
gobbledygook in our archives, but I will forward that file directly to
David off-list.

Three months ago Eric Weiss <eweiss@gte.net> called attention to the following:

>WOMEN IN THE CHURCH: A Fresh Analysis of 1 Timothy 2:9-15, edited by
>Andreas J. Kostenberger, Thomas R. Schreiner, and H. Scott Baldwin,
>analyzes 1 Tim. 2:12 (and the rest of the section) in great detail.
>
>Also, William Mounce's (c) 2000 Word Biblical Commentary on the Pastoral
>Epistles is a recent scholarly discussion of this book and text.

I have read through _WOMEN IN THE CHURCH_ and, despite my discomfort with
its basic hermeneutic, found it pretty sound. It deals with the cultural
background you're concerned with as well as with detailed questions about
the Greek constructions in 1 Tim 2:12.

You may find useful my own note from three months ago as well: