[b-greek] What To Do With PNEUMATIKOS

From: Wayne Leman (wayne_leman@sil.org)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 00:25:43 EDT

Ward, I can now answer that remainging question of yours, which was:

> Is there any use of the word PNEUMATIKOS (of course, outside of 1
> Corinthians 12:1 and 14:1) where it clearly has the meaning "spiritual
> gift"?

The Englishman's Greek Concordance lists no other used of PNEUMATIKOS where
there is a clear meaning of "spiritual gift."

Personally, I don't think PNEUMATIKOS means "spiritual gift", at least not
as a central lexical gloss. I think the translation of "spiritual gifts" can
be justified in 1 Cor. 12:1 and 14:1 because of their contexts about the
CARISMATA, but even here, I could see a legitimate rationale for translating
PNEUMATIKOS as "spiritual matters."

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman