[b-greek] Re: Rev. 22:11 and 3rd person imperatives

From: Steven Lo Vullo (doulos@merr.com)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 17:57:48 EDT

on 10/19/01 12:59 AM, c stirling bartholomew at
cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> on 10/18/01 3:57 PM, boyd@huxcomm.net wrote:
>
>> I've had a lingering question about 3rd person imperatives,
>> which was further kindled by Revelation 22:11. Here's the text:
>>
>> hO ADIKWN ADIKHSATW ETI KAI hO hRUPAROS
>> hRUPANQHTW ETI, KAI hO DIKAIOS DIKAIOSUNHN
>> POIHSATW ETI KAI hO hAGIOS hAGIASQHTW ETI.
>>
> {snip snip}
>

>> What are we to make of the imperatives in this verse?
>
> Jonathan,
>
> In this passage the imperatives are stating what is going to take place.
> They are not functioning as a command at all. The FORM is a command but the
> sense is a pronouncement of what will indeed happen without fail.
>
> To undersigned this you should not go digging around in grammars which are a
> bad place for solving theological problems. You should start by finding a
> good commentary or two on Isaiah* and take a look at Isaiah 6:9-10 which is
> the classic statement on this topic. Note the other echoes of Isaiah 6:9-10
> in the Apocalypse. I will not tell you where they are, you can find them.

Clay,

I agree with you that the imperatives in Rev 22.11 are imperatives of
pronouncement. Since someone mentioned Wallace, I looked through the various
categories of imperatives he discusses. On p. 492 we find "7. Pronouncement
Imperative." What I found interesting was that he limited this usage to
passive voice imperatives. In Rev 22.11 we have alternating active and
passive imperatives. This would seem to call into question Wallace's
limitation of this usage to the passive.
--

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI