[b-greek] STHRIXAI - 1 Thes 3:13

From: Kevin Buchs (buchs@lutheran.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 16:26:35 EST

Would some kind list member help me understand the parsing of the verb
STHRIXAI in 1 Thes 3:13. By my analysis, it had to be aorist optative 3s
active because of the accent on the penultima is not a circumflex. I find
that aorist active infinitive is demanded by the context, however. I would
love to learn a methodology for handling these situations. Am I using a
microscope when I ought to use a telescope?

Also, I often wonder about the possibilities of prepositional phrases
modifying a far verb rather than a near one. In this verse, could it be
possible that the META phrase modifies STHRIXAI (far) rather than PAROUSIA
(near), or is it a well established rule that prepositions always modify the
nearest modifiable verb, when they are adverbial?

Thank you.

Kevin Buchs buchs@lutheran.com Rochester, MN