[b-greek] household items vocabulary

From: Bill & Stephanie Black (bnsblack@yimesgin.org)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 13:50:31 EST

Does anyone know of a reference work that matches NT Greek vocabulary to
descriptions of household items in Hellenistic Jewish society (or
Graeco-Roman for that matter)? For instance, when John the Baptist's head
is presented on a PINAX (Mt 14:8), what does a PINAX look like? What is it
made out of? What did the KATHEDRA a pigeon-seller sat on look like (Mt
21:12)? Did it have a back? Did it have a solid or woven seat?

I was asked a slew of such questions recently in relation to a Bible
translation project for a language group in southern Ethiopia. I couldn't
think of a source that would focus on these 'homely' issues. Any

Stephanie Black

Stephanie L. Black, PhD
Evangelical Theological College
Ethiopian Graduate School of Theology