[b-greek] Re: Interlinear Bibles: Robin Adamo

From: Brent Hudson (brent@riveroflifembchurch.com)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 15:39:14 EST

Assuming your husband has completed a basic grammar, a good book to
accompany reading the NT is Mounce's Morphology of Biblical Greek (MBG).
This book lists every word that occurs in the NT in the index; when he finds
that word in the NT he can't parse, he look up its lexical form and find the
paradigm and explanation for that category of noun, adjective, or verb. The
benefit of this approach is that you learn an entire class of words as you
learn the one you need. Because the morphological rules are explained you
actually can understand why things are as they are which helps bolster one's
confidence in reading.

If he is set on getting an Interlinear (in spite of advice to the contrary),
I suggest getting the one by Brown & Comfort from Tyndale and tell him to
read the introduction. The script is crisp and easy to read and the text is
NA26 which is the most recent critical Greek text (NA27 has only changed the
apparatus, I believe). If you do buy this, give him a recipe card to go
with it. He can use it to cover the English until after he has tried to
translate the text for himself -- it's the least damaging way to use an
Interlinear.

Brent Hudson
Moncton, NB
Canada