[b-greek] Jude 18 clause articulation, etc.

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 16:11:46 EST

In Jude 18 we have some reported speech from the Apostles:

EP' ESCATOU [TOU] XRONOU ESONTAI
EMPAIKTAI KATA TAS hEAUTWN EMIQUMIAS
POREUOMENOI TWN ASEBEIWN.

Looking once again at Chapter 2 of *Levinsohn where he discusses Points of
Departure, I ran into some difficulty making up my mind about the clause
articulation in this reported speech.

It seems like EP' ESCATOU [TOU] XRONOU ESONTAI EMPAIKTAI could be understood
as PRESENTATIONAL articulation, see Levinsohn's discussion of Tit. 1:10 (pp.
24-25).

However it also seems that TOPIC-COMMENT articulation is a possibility.
EMPAIKTAI is not really a new subject in Jude, but rather an elaboration on
the subject already under discussion.

Using conventional analysis there isn't anything very difficult about the
quoted text, except for the position of TWN ASEBEIWN which is a topic for a
different discussion.

At this point I am just trying to apply the clause (sentence?) articulation
categories to the quote itself and having a difficult time making up my mind
about it.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Greetings to all,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

PS: I want to express once again my thanks to Iver and Wayne for their
illuminating posts on topics related to Discourse Analysis and linguistics
in general. Sometimes I argue with these guys but I am glad they are posting
and hope the keep it up.

*Levinsohn, Stephen Discourse Features of New Testament Greek, 2nd Ed.
 SIL 2000.