[b-greek] Re: Lk 18:13; TWi hAMARTWLWi

From: Steven Lo Vullo (doulos@merr.com)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 22:14:35 EST

<x-flowed>
On Saturday, December 1, 2001, at 07:58 PM, Harry W. Jones wrote:

> I believe that the apposition of TWi hAMARTWLWi with MOI is simply
> emphasizing that the tax collector is a sinner. Therefore there is no
> mystery here and the majority of translations are correct.

Harry,

First, you haven't really dealt with any of the arguments I have set
forth. Just declaring that "the apposition of TWi hAMARTWLWi with MOI is
simply emphasizing that the tax collector is a sinner" proves nothing.
You haven't even taken a stab at the points I have made in my earlier
posts dealing with the semantic situation in which the article is here
found. And proclaiming that "the majority of translations are correct"
doesn't make it so. And who said simple apposition was a mystery? What
IS truly a mystery is where you actually stand on this issue. First you
said this was an example of "Par Excellence" (wrongly understood), then
it was "the Monadic case [?]" (again, monadic was wrongly understood,
though you expressed confidence that you were correct), then "a sinner
of the worst kind" was OK with you, and after that it was "Simple
Identification." Then you decided that par exellence was not a
legitimate semantical category at all (though it was your first answer),
and now the article simply emphasizes that the tax collector is a
sinner. Are we through yet?

And does it not strike you as oddly as it does me that, even though YOU
were the one to propose par excellence, as time went on you demanded
that I provide proof for it, even though that was not my position to
begin with?

Second, admitting that TWi hAMARTWLWi is in apposition to MOI does not
help your case (whatever it is). On the contrary, it is evidence for my
case. If indeed there is apposition here, it suggests very strongly that
my proposal is the most likely explanation of this construction in this
context. See my posts to Carl and Carlton for the details of my case.

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI