[b-greek] APOBLEPW

From: Alex / Ali (alexali@surf.net.au)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 07:39:23 EST

In the thread, Jude 7 APERCOMAI + OPISW, Carl made the following comment
which I found interesting:

>Just for what it's worth, Clay, I might note that APO- in compounding
>SOMETIMES has the force not of "away" but rather of "straight at"; thus
>(in classical Attic, at least) APOBLEPW doesn't mean "look away" but "look
>directly at" (as if focusing upon something in the distance?). Rather
>curious.

(The subject of my query is rather different from that being discussed
between Clay and Carl, so I've changed the subject header .)

Carl, isn't it the case that APOBLEPW in the sense you mention is
usually/(?always) found in collocation with a preposition, usually EIS?
That's was my impression, at any rate. So I'd thought of it as looking away
(APOBLEPEIN) directly at (EIS). However, my impression could be nothing
more than a fading and faulty memory of my classical Greek studies.

Best wishes,

Alex Hopkins
Melbourne, Australia