[b-greek] Re: 2 Cor 12:7

From: Steven Lo Vullo (doulos@merr.com)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 17:37:12 EST

<x-flowed>
On Sunday, December 16, 2001, at 04:05 PM, c stirling bartholomew wrote:

> on 12/16/01 1:45 PM, Steven Lo Vullo wrote:
>
>> Even if DIO is authentic, it is not hard to see how, in the
>> course of the dictation or composition of a letter, the thoughts run
>> ahead, and an instrumental dative indicating cause is left "hanging" at
>> the beginning of a sentence.
>
> Steven,
>
> OK, but first you might try and find one UNDISPUTED case of a DIO clause
> constituent which is located to the left of DIO. I have been looking
> for one
> and as yet have not found an example.

Clay:

After sending my last post, I went back and pondered the text and
realized that it is not as awkward to take THi hUPERBOLHi TWN
APOKALUYEWN with what precedes as I first thought. If we take
FEIDOMAI ... APOKALUYEWN as compound sentence, with two independent
clauses joined by KAI, and with FEIDOMAI implied in the second
independent clause, this makes good sense: "But I refrain, lest anyone
credit to me beyond what he sees in me or hears from me, and [I refrain]
because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations." Paul has
already said in v. 5 that in his revelations he "heard unspeakable
words, which a man is not permitted to speak." So he not only refrains
from boasting about his visions so that people would not credit him with
more than was apparent to them, but also because it would be
impermissible to speak about these "surpassingly great" revelations." If
this is correct, there is no need to posit a constituent of a DIO clause
located before DIO.

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI