[b-greek] Re: Mark 6:22

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 18:44:35 EST

At 11:05 PM +0100 12/16/01, Wieland Willker wrote:
>In the Byzantine text Mark 6:22 reads:
>KAI EISELQOUSHS THS QUGATROS AUTHS THS HRWDIADOS
>
>The AUTHS THS sounds a bit strange to me. Is this "good" Greek? What
>exactly does it mean
>and what would be an adequate translation of it?

I would assume it's the intensive usage of AUTOS, which is in a predicative
position to the noun with which it construes. The sense would be "the
daughter of Herodias herself"--i.e. it would emphasize that it's not
Herod's daughter, but the daughter of Herod's sister in law with whom Herod
has been living and because of which relationship John has rebuked Herod.

>And what would be the difference to the following readings:
>W: KAI EISELQOUSHS THS QUGATROS AUTHS HRWDIADOS

In this instance AUTHS would have to be the third person pronoun, and I
would punctuate with a comma after it: KAI EISELQOUSHS THS QUGATROS AUTHS,
hHRODIADOS

"... and when her daughter, Herodias, came in ..."

>f1: KAI EISELQOUSHS THS QUGATROS THS HRWDIADOS

"...and when Herodias' daughter came in ..."

Department of Classics/Washington University (Emeritus)
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu