[b-greek] Re: 1Enoch 8 EPAOIDWN LUTHRION

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 22:13:57 EST

on 12/21/01 2:54 PM, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> Well, I think that Charles and Laurence are essentially right; it's just
> that those aren't very good English phrases to express the essential ideas.
> Inasmuch as "spells" (EPAOIDAI) "bind" (DEOUSIN) the persons upon whom they
> are cast, a LUTHRION ought to LUEIN the EPAOIDAI,i.e. "undo" them. So I
> think I'd English the phrase as "the unbinding of spells" or "dissolution
> of spells" or "undoing of spells."

Thanks Carl,

> Inasmuch as "spells" (EPAOIDAI) "bind" (DEOUSIN) the persons upon whom they
> are cast

 Are you doing some etymology here? You know working with R.H. Charles'
edition of Codex Panopolitanus has given me a new appreciation for the value
of etymology. I tried to figure out some of the compounds by looking at
their component parts first and then looked them up in LSJ and for the most
part the etymology worked just fine. One of them SELHNAGWGIAS (8:3) wasn't
in LSJ, at least I could not find it. But the others were all there.

CSB Wrote:

>In 8:3, what did ARMARWS teach? My best guess about EPAOIDWN LUTHRION is:
>"the breaking of evil spells" or how to perform the reverse action of what
>SEMIAZAS taught in the clause before.
>
>The translations of the Ethiopic Texts of Enoch are not all that helpful
>since it is assumed by some that the Ethiopic text was made from the Greek
>text. Here are the English renderings of Ethiopic:
>
>RH Charles: "resolving of enchantments"
>R. Laurence "solution of sorcery"

Just got home and brought with me from the local library Florentino Garcia
Martinez' The DSS Translated:The Qumran Texts in English (Brill, 1994). Just
so happens that this text is extant in 4Q202 col. III line 2:

[. . . ] taught (how) to remove magic, [ . . .]

Carl wrote:

> Looks like you're getting into some pretty esoteric stuff of a very
> eclectic nature--about as fundamentally Hellenistic as you can get!

Well, not so esoteric if you are studying 2Pet/Jude and also 1Peter, along
with re-reading Bo Ivar Reicke's "The Disobedient Spirits" (Copenhagen
1946). 1Enoch appears to form an significant intertextual link between all
three of these epistles.

BTW, The language of Codex Panopolitanus strikes me as remarkable in its
"ungreekness." Sounds to me like a document that was translated in a very
mechanical way from a Semitic(?) original. I think the DSS Enoch fragments
are Aramaic (some of them anyway), so perhaps that explains the lack of
Greek syntax in Codex Panopolitanus.

Thanks again,

Clay

--