[b-greek] Thayer - Mt 4:10 - A concrete example.

From: Rick Stamp (rickstamp@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 16:43:29 EST

I'm sticking my oars in where I'm unqualified, but I wonder if it would be
fair to say that the Thayer lexicon is fine as far as it goes, but probably
doesn't go far enough for the purposes of current lexical studies, given the
information that has come to light since the 19th Century. That is, a great
deal of information can now be added to lexical entries about which Thayer knew
little or nothing - information that is now available in more recent works
(BDAG, etc.).

Ted
Dr. Theodore H. Mann
<<<<

I've been reading this thread with interest because I have been told that
the Grimm/Thayer Greek Lexicon is hopelessly outdated because of advances in
our understanding of Koine due to new discoveries in the Papyri.

I have also asked for examples to illustrate this and have never been
offered any to evaluate.

Let's try a different approach. I will offer one or two examples from
Grimm/Thayer which are representive of the types of entries which draw this type
of criticism. If the entry is defective perhaps someone could provide
references which invalidate it.

I'll start with just one example, the entry on MONOS, page 418.

MONOS 1. an adjective, alone (without a companion); a. with verbs ... b. it
is joined with its noun to other verbs also, so that what is predicated may
be declared to apply to some _one person alone_. [my emphasis] [cf. W. 131
(124) note]: Mt. iv. 10; Lk. iv. 8

I did not pick this example to get into a theological discussion about
whether or not only one person should receive worship but because it is presisely
the type of example which draws this criticism.

I am interested in any concrete examples which might prove this entry to be
incorrect.

Thayer apparently appeals to Winer's grammar which includes Matt xii 4 in
the footnote. Winer also comments on Matt iv. 10 on page 210 where he comments
that PROSKUEIN invariably governs the dative in Matt. On page 208 Winer
states that the dative points out the object that is "mostly a person."

This is my first post to B-GREEK, so it might not be posted right away. If
this is the case and those I have copied are interested in forwarding it, I am
anxious to see what responses there may be to this example.

Kind Regards,
Rick Stamp.

--
Rick Stamp