[b-greek] Re: Thayer - Mt 4:10 - A concrete example.

From: Ted Mann (theomann@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Dec 24 2001 - 12:36:31 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry W. Jones" <hjbluebird@aol.com>
To: "Biblical Greek" <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2001 8:45 PM
Subject: [b-greek] Re: Thayer - Mt 4:10 - A concrete example.

Harry Jones wrote (snip):
> I think that the results of my questions indicate very clearly that
Thayer is still very a good lexicon.

A few thoughts:

1. As others have pointed out, the statement above isn't reasonable. It
doesn't follow from the fact that no one on a discussion list has submitted
specific criticisms of Thayer (but note Richard Ghilardi's recent post),
that it is therefore a good (or bad) lexicon. A lack of information doesn't
prove anything.
2. On the other hand, if people on the list have asserted that Thayer is
out of date (especially if these assertions have been made fairly recently),
they ought to be able to provide some examples, unless none of them have
been following this thread. Why would anyone claim that Thayer's is
sub-standard unless he has some substantive reasons for doing so?
3. I have heard for years that Thayer's lexicon is out of date, and from
many other sources than b-Greek. Although I have not bothered to check this
out, I would think that such a wide-spread viewpoint would at least give one
pause to consider the possibility that it isn't altogether reliable.
4. When there are so many wonderful current resources (BDAG, etc.)
available, I don't see much reason for using a lexicon that is 100+ years
old. Unless it has been updated to take into consideration the thousands of
manuscripts that have been examined since the 19th Century, it's bound to be
at least somewhat out of date, even if specific examples haven't been
identified.

Ted
Dr. Theodore H. Mann
theomann@earthlink.net