[b-greek] Re: Mark 6:22

From: Steven Lo Vullo (doulos@merr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 24 2001 - 12:50:04 EST

<x-flowed>
On Monday, December 24, 2001, at 08:28 AM, Richard Ghilardi wrote:

> At 11:05 PM +0100 12/16/01, Wieland Willker wrote:
>> In the Byzantine text Mark 6:22 reads:
>> KAI EISELQOUSHS THS QUGATROS AUTHS THS HRWDIADOS
>>
>> The AUTHS THS sounds a bit strange to me. Is this "good" Greek? What
>> exactly does it mean
>> and what would be an adequate translation of it?
>
> To which Carl Conrad replied:
>
> << I would assume it's the intensive usage of AUTOS, which is in a
> predicative
> position to the noun with which it construes. The sense would be "the
> daughter of Herodias herself"...>>
>
> Maybe. But it still looks a bit strange to me. I would have expected the
> intensive pronoun to follow the noun it intensifies rather than precede
> it. But perhaps I'm being influenced too much by English usage. I wonder
> what a search of intensive pronouns which precede their nouns vs. ones
> which follow them would reveal? Alas, I don't have the software to do
> it.

Hi Richard:

An Accordance search turned up 376 uses of the intensive pronoun, so I
won't list them all for you. :-) But it does look like it is common for
it to precede the noun it intensifies. In fact, Mark 6.17 (just a few
verses before the one in question) has AUTOS GAR hO hHRWiDHS ("Herod
himself"). Other examples from Mark:

12.36, 37: AUTOS DAUID ("David himself")

16.14: AUTOIS TOIS hENDEKA ("the eleven themselves")

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI