[b-greek] Re: Acronym Review

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 23:14:01 EST

In a message dated 12/28/01 6:18:14 PM, Mark Hilditch writes:

>Could one of you grammatical heavyweights please review the full names
>of the texts referred to in here by the following shorthand?

>Moulton & Milligan = James Hope Moulton and George Milligan, THE VOCABULARY
OF THE GREEK TESTAMENT ILLUSTRATED FROM THE PAPYRI AND OTHER NON-LITERARY
SOURCES, 1930

>BAG = Walter Bauer's Greek-German Dictionary translated and edited by W.F
Arndt and F. W. Gingrich, 1957 Title in English = A GREEK-ENGLISH LEXICON OF
THE NEW TESTAMENT AND OTHER EARLY CHRISTIAN LITERATURE

>BAGD = same revised by Fredrick Danker Now BDAG is extensively revised and
improved once again by Danker.

>Louw & Nida From the United Bible Societies A GREEK-ENGLISH LEXICON OF THE
GREEK NEW TESTAMENT BASED ON SEMANTIC DOMAINS 2 vols. I forget Louw's first
name but Nida is Eugene Nida of ABS fame and an accomplished linquist who has
helped translate parts to the Bible into many modern languages.

>LSJ = Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A GREEK-ENGLISH LEXICON, revised
by Henry S. Jones. The yet again revised edition of this is considered the
best lexicon for Clasical works and is also rated by many as the best Greek
lexicon period. The last edition with the supplement can be bought for about
$100 over the webb.

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College