[b-greek] Re: To Shame or not To Shame

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 09:16:04 EST

At 8:39 AM -0500 2/18/02, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>I have a question about ENTREPW in this passage. How on earth can I tell
>when this verb means "to shame" and when it means "to respect"?

One good clue: the active is causative; the MP (and of course you know that
I would prefer to call it middle) is to feel a sense of shame or reverence
before a person--i.e. to feel a sense of inhibition regarding how one is
likely to behave before such a person. Older Greek used AIDEOMAI and

25.196 ENTREPW: to cause someone to be embarrassed or ashamed - 'to shame,
to embarrass.' OUK ENTREPWN hUMAS GRAFW TAUTA 'I do not write this to
embarrass you' 1Cor 4:14; MH SUNANAMIGNUSQAI AUTWi, hINA ENTRAPHi [where
ENTRAPHi is aor. "passive" (i.e. MP)]'have nothing to do with him, so that
he will be ashamed' 2Th 3:14.

87.11 ENTREPOMAI: to show respect to a person on the basis of his high
status - 'to respect, to show respect.' PEMYW TON hUION MOU TON AGAPHTON;
ISWS TOUTON ENTRAPHSONTAI 'I will send my own dear son; surely they will
respect him' Lk 20:13. In a number of languages the showing of respect is
referred to by a number of figurative expressions, for example, 'to bow
before,' 'to kneel before,' 'to crouch before,' or 'to stand appalled in
the presence of.'