[b-greek] Mt 15.27

From: Rbsads@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 22:39:11 EST

NAI KURIE, KAI GAR TA KUNARIA ESQIEI APO TWN YICIWN

Reading this verse, which is given as an exercise to study different uses for
the conjuctions KAI and GAR, it struck me that ESQHIEI is 3rd singular but
the subject TA KUNARIA is nominative plural.

Am I reading this correctly? Is this common for a nominative and verb not to
agree in number, or is there some intended effect from a lack of agreement?

BTW, I had decided that KAI was to be translated as "even" and GAR was to be
translated as "now", being understood as a transition word.

"Yes Lord, now even the dogs eat(s) from the crumbs which fall from the table
of their master(s)."

The effect of translating GAR as "now" rather than as "but" or as "yet" seems
to me to give a sense of this poor woman making something of a object lesson
point to Jesus, rather than her engaging in a witty polemic exchange.

Does the lack of subject/verbal agreement, along with something of a lack of
agreement between "table" (singular) and "of their masters" (plural) intend
any hint of uneducation on the part of the woman?

Thank you,

Richard Smith
Chattanooga, TN

And I have attempted to submit plain text in AOL 6.0. Thanks.