farmers find and share information.|
Berkshire Regional Food
and Land Council
44 Bank Row
Pittsfield, MA 01201
We're a coalition of community members in Berkshire County currently
working to make a sustainable food system. We've recently completed a two-year
study of what we should do and now are looking at 'actions' to implement to
begin making our food system stronger and more sustainable.
- Cathy Roth, (413) 448-8285; fax (413) 442-0304
- Sherill Baldwin, (413) 445-4556; firstname.lastname@example.org
Some of our
current plans include:
- We just received notice that we're getting a grant to do a feasibility
study on food processing. We'll be looking at commercial kitchens, and
value-added for produce or dairy products. We'll do an initial 'screening' of
these three and the one with most interest from local producers will be looked
at more closely with a business plan developed.
- We're working on a certification program for restaurants that promote they
are buying locally.
- We're working on educational projects that assist growers, consumers,
distributers, children etc. on issues related to the food system.
- We're developing a food system/food shed map.
- We're having our third "Moveable Feast" in September. We've
organized feasts and moved them around our county. The feasts use local foods,
local chefs, local volunteers and invite locals... The evening is at a very low
cost to get folks to come and includes information about 'sustaining our local
food system' project - which until now has been primarily study and research.
Our third feast will encourage more folks to help with our 'actions'.
- One more project is working with local school teachers and linking them
farmers. This is a small project that works with one school and two farms. We
may consider expanding this later.
©1997 Committee for
Sustainable Farm Publishing
Please read about our
usage permission policy and disclaimer.
comments, suggestions and questions to the site author:
Coded using HoTMetaL Pro 3.0.
Best viewed in
Please see our credits page
for more information.