farmers find and share information.|
The New Organics Index
Trends worth watching in organic food and farming.
New Organics Index comes to you courtesy of the
New Organics Company, producers of
the first-ever comprehensive line of affordable packaged organic foods sold only
in grocery stores. Their website also features a great marketing resource,
Reasons to Buy Organic.
- Organic food sales in 1980: $178 million.
- In 1995: $2.8 billion.
- In 1996: $3.5 billion.
- Projected in five years: $10 billion.
- Percent annual growth of organic food sales for the last 3 years: 25.
- Percent annual growth of conventional food sales for the last 3 years:
- Rank of organic foods among the nation's top five food trends: 1.
- Number of organic farmers in the U.S. in 1991: 2,841.
- In 1994: 4,060.
- In 1997: 12,000.
- Acres of land devoted to organic farming in 1991: 550,267.
- In 1994: 1,127,000.
- Number of nationally surveyed consumers who said they were concerned
about agricultural pesticides: 7 out of 10.
- Percent of insecticides the Environmental Protection Agency considers
potentially cancer-causing: 30.
- Percent of herbicides: 60.
- Percent of fungicides: 90.
- Rank of American age groups 40 to 49, 18 to 29, and 60 and older that
are most likely to buy organic food: 1, 2, 3.
- Percent of consumers surveyed nationwide who had purchased organic food
during the past six months: 23.
- Percent of those consumers who were satisfied with their purchases: 97.
- Rank of tomatoes, lettuce, carrots and apples among the most commonly
purchased organic foods: 1, 2, 3, 4.
- Percent of upscale restaurants that offer organic items: 57.
Sources: USDA, Whole Foods, 1996 Food Marketing Institute
study, Natural Foods Merchandiser, Delicious!, National
Restaurant Association, 1996 Fresh Trends report published in The Packer,
Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News, The Wall Street Journal,
Health Journal by Marilyn Chase, industry analyst Sara Starr of Starr
Track, Organic Trade Association.
- Percent of the U.S. Department of Agriculture research budget that funds
organic farming projects: 0.1.
©1997 Committee for Sustainable
Please read about our
usage permission policy and disclaimer.
comments, suggestions and questions to the site author:
Coded using HoTMetaL Pro 3.0.
Best viewed in
Please see our credits page
for more information.