ORGANIZATION OF A FIELD DIVISION, AS APPROVED ON 9 OCTOBER 1939*
1. DIVISIONAL HEADQUARTERS (including one Divisional Section, S.A. Intelligence Corps)
2. THREE INFANTRY BRIGADES, each
Infantry Brigade Headquarters
Three Infantry Battalions, each
3 Rifle Companies
1 Support Company
Light Artillery Brigade
Light Artillery Brigade H.Q.
1 2-pounder Anti-Tank Battery (6 guns)*
3 3·7 in. Howitzer Batteries (each 6 guns) or
3 3 in. Mortar Batteries (each 12 mortars)
Field Company, Engineers
Field Company H.Q.
Brigade Signals Company
3 Battalion Platoons
Brigade 'Q' Services
1 Brigade Supply Section (from Div. Sup. Coy. )
1 Brigade Petrol Section (from Div. Petrol Coy.)
Brigade 'T' Services
Brigade Workshops (from Div. Workshops)
1 Brigade Ammunition Section*
Field Hygiene Detachment (from Div. Field Hygiene Section)
3. DIVISIONAL TROOPS
Headquarters, Divisional Artillery
- 3 Field Brigades, each
Field Brigade H.Q.
3 25-pounder Batteries (each 6 guns)
- 1 Anti-Tank Brigade
Anti-Tank Brigade H.Q.
1 2-pounder Anti-Tank Battery (6 guns)
- 1 Anti-Aircraft Brigade
Anti-Aircraft Brigade H.Q.
3 3·7 in. Anti-Aircraft Batteries (each 8 guns)
1 Anti-Aircraft Searchlight Company (18 lights)
- 1 Light Anti-Aircraft Brigade
Light Anti-Aircraft Brigade H.Q.
3 2-pounder Anti-Aircraft Batteries (each 6 guns)
- 1 Light (Pack) Battery
6 3·7 in. Howitzers*
* On 26 February 1940, the Field Army Organization was amended. In particular, the 2-pounder Anti-Tank Battery in the Light Artillery Brigade was now to come from a Divisional Anti-Tank Brigade; the Ammunition Sections became 'Q' instead of'T'; mortars were shown as optional instead of howitzers in the Divisional Light (Pack) Battery; the Rifle Regiments in the Mounted Brigade became Commandos; and the 'Q' Services were reorganized and absorbed the Labour Battalion.
- Divisional Mounted Troops
One Mounted Brigade
Mounted Brigade H.Q.
3 Rifle Regiments, each
3 Rifle Squadrons
- Divisional Armoured Battalion
Divisional Armoured Battalion H.Q.
- 3 Armoured Car Companies, each
Armoured Car Coy. H.Q.
3 Platoons, each
H.Q. 3 Sects. (2)
- 1 Light Tank Company
Light Tank Coy. H.Q.
3 Platoons, each
H.Q. 2 Sects. (3)
- Divisional Engineers
H.Q. Divisional Engineers
- 1 Field Squadron
- 1 Field Park Company
- 1 Labour Battalion
3 Labour Companies*
- Divisional Signals
H.Q. Divisional Signals
- H.Q. Signals Company
- Mounted Brigade Signals Squadron
3 Squadron Troops
- Divisional 'Q.' Services
H.Q. Divisional 'Q' Services
- Divisional Supply Company H.Q.
Div. Troops Supply Section
- Divisional Petrol Company
Div. Troops Petrol Section
- Divisional 'T' Services
H.Q. Divisional 'T' Services
- Divisional Workshops
- Divisional Ammunition Company
Ammunition Coy. H.Q.
Div. Troops Ammunition Section
- 1 Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance
- Divisional Field Hygiene Section
H.Q. Div. Troop Detachment
- 1 Field Dental Unit
One Mobile Veterinary Section
One Provost Company
One Divisional Postal Unit
Table of Contents
Previous Appendix (3) ** Next Appendix (5)
Transcribed and formatted by Larry Jewell & Patrick Clancey, HyperWar Foundation