Lighthouses of Northern Brazil

Brazil, the largest country in South America and fifth largest in the world, has a lengthy coastline, a large number of lighthouses, and a distinguished lighthouse history. This page covers lighthouses along Brazil's northern coast including the states of Amapá, Pará, and Amazonas. It is a tropical coastline, quite low in most areas. Belém in Pará is the major port. Tourism has increased in the region in recent years and some of the major lighthouses are becoming much better known.

The Portuguese word for a lighthouse is farol, plural faróis. In Brazilian use the word farol generally applies to all light towers, regardless of size and whether they are enclosed structures or not.

Active lighthouses in Brazil are owned by the navy (Marinha do Brasil) and maintained by the Centro de Sinalização Náutica e Reparos Almirante Moraes Rego (CAMR) in the Diretoria de Hidrografia e Navegacão (DHN). Many of the larger lighthouses are staffed by resident keepers or by rotating crews of naval personnel. Only a small number of Brazilian lighthouses are open to the public.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. BR numbers are from the official Brazilian Lista de Faroís. Admiralty numbers are from volume G of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110.

General Sources
Faroís Brasileiros
A web site for Brazilian lighthouses by Tito Lívio with photos and historical information for many of the major lights.
Online List of Lights - Brazil
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas. Most of the photos for this area are by Capt. Theo Hinrichs ("Capt. Theo") or Capt. Peter Mosselberger ("Capt. Peter").
Lighthouses in Brazil
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Brazil
Photos by various photographers available from Lighthouses.net.
Lista de Faróis do Brasil
Index to articles on Brazilian lighthouses in the Portuguese edition of Wikipedia.
Leuchttürme Südamerikas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
Lista de Faróis 2018-19
Online version of the official Brazilian light list.

Farol de Salinópolis
Salinópolis Light, New Year's Day 2003
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Felipe Accioli

Lighthouses of Amapá

Note: The territory of Amapá (sometimes called "Portuguese Guiana") was disputed for many years between Brazil and France. In 1900 an arbitration commission ruled in favor of Brazil. The territory was added initially to the state of Pará. In 1943 it became a federal territory and it was elevated to statehood in 1991.

North Atlantic Coast Lighthouses
Cabo Orange
1997. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. Approx. 48 m (157 ft) square cylindrical white steel skeletal tower. A Navy photo is at right, Ricardo Siqueira has an aerial photo, the World Wildlife Fund also has an aerial photo, and a distant view (second photo on the page) is available, but the tower is not seen in Google's fuzzy satellite view. This tall modern lighthouse was built on Brazil's northernmost cape, across the mouth of the Rio Oiapoque (Oyapock) from French Guiana, to mark the country's northern border. The lighthouse was restored in July 2012, although this was possible only after marines were sent in to clear the jungle from the helipad. Accessible only by helicopter. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Parque Nacional de Cabo Orange. ARLHS BRA-277; BR-0001; Admiralty G0000.5; NGA 17458.
Calçoene (2)
2006 (station established 1948). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 3 s. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located at the water's edge on the south side of the entrance to the Rio Calçoene. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-124; BR-0002; Admiralty G0001; NGA 17460.
Ponto do Guará
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); white flash every 6 s. 42 m (138 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. Located about 30 km (19 mi) north of the northernmost mouth of the Amazon River. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-217; BR-0028; Admiralty G0004; NGA 17470.

Cabo Orange Light, Amapá, July 2012
Marinha do Brasil photo
Bailique (2)
Date unknown (station established 1890). Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); white flash every 10 s. 39 m (128 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available but Bing has a satellite view. The historic lighthouse was described as a cylindrical iron tower with a focal plane of 18 m (59 ft). Located on the north side of the entrance to the northernmost mouth of the Amazon River. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-009; BR-0060; Admiralty G0005; NGA 17472.

North Side Canal do Norte (Amazon River Entrance) Lighthouses
Ilha do Pará (2)
1990s (station established 1958). Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 30 m (98 ft) square skeletal tower covered with white metal panels. Aldeni Araujo de Almeida has a closeup photo, Trabas has a distant view by Capt. Theo, and Bing has a satellite view of the station. This lighthouse marks the entrance to the Canal do Norte, the northernmost major mouth of the Amazon. Located on an island just north of the entrance. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-053; BR-0061; Admiralty G0005.5; NGA 17474.
#Ilha Pedreira
Date unknown. Inactive. Lighthouse reported destroyed (presumably demolished) in early 2006. 30 m (98 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available but Google has a satellite view that probably shows buildings of the former station. Located on a swampy island in the Canal do Norte, the northernmost mouth of the Amazon, about 100 km (60 mi) above the mouth. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ex-BR-0088; ex-Admiralty G0007.2; ex-NGA 17490.
Pau Cavado
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); white flash every 6 s. 40 m (131 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo (also seen at right and on the Lightphotos.net page), and Google has a good satellite view. Located at a bend in the Canal do Norte about 40 km (25 mi) northeast of the river port of Macapá. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-069; BR-0092; Admiralty G0007.5; NGA 17500.
* Macapá Torre de Água (Water Tower)
Date unknown. Active (privately maintained); focal plane unknown; continuous light, white or red depending on direction. Light mounted atop a tall water tower. Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo (the water tower is left of center), and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Macapá, the capital of Amapá, is a city of about 400,000 residents on the north side of the Canal do Norte. Located at the intersection of the Avenidas Mário Cruz and Gen. Rondon in Macapá. Site open, tower closed. BR-0108; Admiralty G0008.4; NGA 17510.
Farol de Pau Cavado
Pau Cavado Light, Macapá
photo copyright Capt. Theo Hinrichs; used by permission
* Macapá Southwest (Water Tower)
Date unknown. Active (privately maintained); focal plane unknown; continuous red light. Light mounted atop a tall water tower. Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo (the water tower is just below and to the left of tallest building), and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located at the municipal water treatment plant on the Rua Odilado Silva in Macapá. Site open, tower closed. BR-0112; Admiralty G0008.5; NGA 17511.
Cascalheira
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (43 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 14 m (46 ft) square white skeletal tower mounted on a square platform supported by piles. Trabas has Capt. Theo's photo and Google has a satellite view. The light warns ships away from a shoal on the north side of the Canal do Norte. Located off the southern edge of Macapa. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. BR-0116; Admiralty G0009; NGA 17512.

Lighthouses of Pará

South Side Canal do Norte Lighthouses
Espírito Santo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); one long (2 s) white flash every 15 s. 22 m (72 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. Trabas has a very distant view by Capt. Theo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. This lighthouse acts as a leading light for vessels entering the Canal do Norte. Located on the western end of the Ilha Caviana facing the south side of the Canal do Norte. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. BR-0084; Admiralty G0007.4; NGA 17496.
Ilha Taiá
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft) three white flashes every 12 s. 13 m (43 ft) square skeletal mast painted white and mounted on a concrete pier. Trabas has Capt. Theo's very distant view and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a shoal northwest of the Ilha Janaucu on the south side of the entrance to the Canal do Norte. Site status unknown. BR-0076; ex-Admiralty G0006.9; NGA 17488.
Ponta do Santarém
Date unknown. Active (?); focal plane 13 m (43 ft) three white flashes every 15 s. 13 m (43 ft) square skeletal tower painted white and mounted on a concrete pier. No photo available but Bing has a satellite view. The Admiralty reported this light deactivated in 2017 but it remains on the Brazilian and NGA lists. Located just offshore off the northeast point of the Ilha Janaucu. Site status unknown. BR-0072; ex-Admiralty G0006.8; NGA 17484.

Ilha do Marajó Area Lighthouses
Note: The Ilha do Marajó is a large island occupying much of the southeastern half of the delta of the Amazon. On its east side, Marajó is separated from the mainland by the estuary known as the Río do Pará. The Río do Pará is considered the southernmost mouth of the Amazon, but it also drains the Río Tocantins, another very large river. The city of Belém, capital of Pará state, is on the east side of the Río do Pará across from the Ilha do Marajó.
Ilha Camaleão
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); one long (2 s) white flash every 15 s. 35 m (115 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available but Bing has a satellite view. Located on the north side of the Ilha Camaleão, an island on the north side of the Ilha de Marajó. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-136; BR-0142; Admiralty G0011.5; NGA 17534.
Ilha Machadinho
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 10 s. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available but Bing has a satellite view of the station. Located on an island about 16 km (10 mi) east of Ilha Camaleão. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-226; BR-0144; Admiralty G0012; NGA 17536.
Simão Grande (Cabo de Maguari)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); white flash every 5 s. 40 m (131 ft) square skeletal tower, lower half pyramidal and upper half cylindrical, painted white. No photo available but Bing has a satellite view of the tower. Located at the northeastern point of the Ilha de Marajó, the large island between the mouths of the Amazon and the Rio do Pará. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-197; BR-0148; Admiralty G0014; NGA 17540.
* Soure (2)
Date unknown (station established 1900). Active; focal plane 35 m (114 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 30 m (98 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower, built on a square platform projecting into the Baía de Marajó. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. A photo is at right, Giselle Silva has a 2017 photo, Daniel Dutra has a 2018 photo, Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo, and Google has a satellite view. Soure (pronounced "sorry") is the principal town of the Ilha de Marajó; it is accessible by ferry or package tour from Belém. Located in Soure on the west side of the entrance to the Baía de Guajará. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-198; BR-0167; Admiralty G0021.5; NGA 17560.
Salvaterra (Ilha dos Amores)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white flash every 3 s. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) hexagonal skeletal tower with one enclosed section. Lighthouse painted white. Trabas has Capt. Theo's view from the river, Edielson Correa Sarmento has a view from shore, and Google has a blurry satellite view. This may be the second tower at this site, since NGA lists an 8 m (26 ft) square skeletal tower. Located on a small island just offshore at Salvaterra, on the west side of the Baía de Marajó. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-092; BR-0168; Admiralty G0022; NGA 17562.

Soure Light
Prefeitura de Soure photo
* Joanes (Ponta da Guarita) (3)
Date unknown (station established 1889). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 10 s. 17 m (56 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, painted white. Wikimedia has an excellent photo by Celso Roberto de Abreu Silva, Augusto Cezar has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. There is a church near the lighthouse, and also nearby are the ruins of a 17th century mission that was one of the first European outposts in the area. Located on Ponta da Guarita, a promontory on the west side of the Baía de Marajó about 15 km (9 mi) south of Salvaterra. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-060; BR-0172; Admiralty G0024; NGA 17564.

Belém Area and South Side Rio Pará Lighthouses
Note: Founded in 1616, Belém is the capital of Pará and the metropolis of the lower Amazon. The city has a population of about 1.4 million.
*** Belém (Mangal das Garças)
2005. Active; focal plane about 45 m (148 ft); white flash every 20 s. 47 m (154 ft) square concrete skeletal tower with lantern, four massive legs, a large square central column, and two observation decks. Flávio Jota de Paula's photo is at right, Giovane Carneiro has a photo, Wikimedia has several photos, Trabas has a photo by Alfonso Biescas Vignau, Matheus Zimmerman has a 2018 photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This striking and very modern lighthouse is the centerpiece of a large park, the Mangal das Garças ("Mangroves of the Herons"), adjacent to downtown Belém and at the confluence of the Rio Guamá and Rio Acará. Site open; tower open for climbing at least to the observation decks. Site manager: Estado do Pará. BR-0269; Admiralty G0042.3; NGA 17599.
[Forte da Barra (2)]
Date unknown (station established about 1923). Active; focal plane 14 m (43 ft); quick-flashing white light. This light is described by NGA as a 12 m (39 ft) square masonry tower, painted white, located on an islet in the Rio do Pará. However, the islet has disappeared and the current light is on a white mast mounted on a square concrete pier. A closeup photo is available and Google has a distant satellite view. Located about 600 m (3/8 mi) off the east side of the Rio do Pará at Val de Cães, about 10 miles north of Belém. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-259; BR-0208; Admiralty G0038; NGA 17592.
Ilha Tatuoca
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); two quick white flashes every 6 s. 11 m (36 ft) square skeletal tower painted white. Trabas has Capt. Peter's distant view and Google has a distant satellite view. This light marks the beginning of the approach to Belém from the Rio de Pará. Located at the northern tip of a small island in the estuary. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. BR-0192; Admiralty G0034; NGA 17584.
Ponta Maria Teresa
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); white flash every 6 s. 40 m (131 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available but Bing has a satellite view of the lighthouse. Located on the east side of the Rio do Pará about 8 km (5 mi) north of Colares. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-079; BR-0164; Admiralty G0021; NGA 17556.
Taipú (2)
Date unknown. Active (?); focal plane 39 m (128 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 30 m (98 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available but Bing has a satellite view. The light was reported "extinguished" in 2013, but it was repaired and continues in service. Note: not to be confused with the much better known Morro de Taipus lighthouse in Bahia. This lighthouse is a landfall light for the entrance to Marajó Bay and the Rio do Pará. Located about 30 km (19 mi) north of Vigia. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-200; BR-0160; Admiralty G0020; NGA 17552.
Belém Light
Belém (Mangal das Garças) Light, October 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Flávio Jota de Paula

North Coast and Salinópolis Area Lighthouses
Curuçá (Ilha Cajutuba)
Date unknown (station established 1933). Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 42 m (138 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. Located on the northern point of Ilha Cajutuba, about 50 km (30 mi) west of Salinópolis. Site status unknown.ARLHS BRA-031; BR-0472; Admiralty G0062; NGA 17652.
Marapanim (Ponta do Algodoal)
1952. Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 32 m (105 ft) square skeletal tower painted with red and white horizontal bands. Andre Leao has a good photo, Luiz Coltro has a distant street view from the beach, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a low point of land on the east side of the entrance to the Rio Marapanim, about 25 km (15 mi) west of Salinópolis. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-064; BR-0476; Admiralty G0063; NGA 17656.
* Salinópolis (Salinas) (3) (relocated from Apeú)
1902 (relocated here in 1937) (station established 1852). Active; focal plane 61 m (200 ft); white flash every 6 s. 39 m (128 ft) cast iron skeletal tower with central cylinder, painted red. Felipe Accioli's photo is at the top of this page, Alexandre Lima has a photo, Moises Unger has a 2008 photo, Wikimedia has Carlos Macapuna's closeup, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Antonio Negrao has a closeup and notes that the lighthouse was prefabricated in what was then Austria but is now the Czech Republic. Stone ruins of the original lighthouse, a 12 m (40 ft) tower, can be seen on the beach 13 km (8 mi) north of the city. After it was lost to erosion it was replaced by a 50 m (164 ft) skeletal tower; this lighthouse was also lost to erosion in the 1930s. The present lighthouse was shipped to Salinópolis in 1894 but it remained crated for several years. In 1902 it was installed at Apeú (see below), where it stood until it was relocated to the present site in 1937. Located in Salinópolis, an ocean beach resort about 150 miles northeast of Belém. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-091; BR-0480; Admiralty G0064; NGA 17660.
Quatipuru
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 25 m (82 ft) skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available and Bing has only a fuzzy satellite view of the station. Located on a low point of land about 60 km (38 mi) northeast of Santarém. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-085; BR-0482; Admiralty G0065; NGA 17662.
Caeté (Ajuruteua)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); two quick white flashes every 6 s. 16 m (52 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. Vitor Castanho has a distant view (fifth photo on the page), and Google has a distant satellite view. Located at the north end of the beach resort town of Ajuruteua. Site status unknown. BR-0484; Admiralty G0066; NGA 17664.
Apeú (Ilha do Apeú, Cape Gurupi) (2)
1943 (station established 1902). Active (?); focal plane 41 m (135 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 38 m (125 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The tower also carries a diamond shaped daymark also painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available but Bing has a satellite view of the tower. The original lighthouse was relocated to Salinópolis in 1937. The Admiralty has dropped its listing for this light but it remains on the Brazilian and NGA lists. Located on an island just offshore about 120 km (75 mi) east of Salinópolis. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-004; BR-0488; ex-Admiralty G0070; NGA 17668.

Amazon River Lightbeacon
[Ponta Peregrino]
Date unknown. Inactive since 2018. 12 m (39 ft) skeletal mast, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Trabas has Capt. Theo's photo but the small tower is not seen in Bing's satellite view. There are numerous lights along the river; this is one of the larger ones. Located on the north bank of the Amazon about 160 km (100 mi) east of Santarém. Site status unknown. BR-0392; ex-Admiralty G0059.2.

Lighthouses of Amazonas

Note: Large ocean-going vessels (including cruise ships) can sail the Amazon River approximately 1500 km (930 mi) to Manaus, the capital of Amazonas state. Manaus is a large city, with a population of about 2 million.
Porto Equador
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white flash every 3 s. 10 m (33 ft) square skeletal tower, lower section pyramidal, painted white. The tower also carries diamond-shaped slatted daymarks, painted white. Trabas has Capt. Theo's photo and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on the south bank of the river near Urucurutiba. Site status unknown. BR-0424; Admiralty G0059.52.
Moronas
1929. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); green flash every 3 s. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower mounted on a tall, round stepped base. Lighthouse painted white; the base is unpainted. André Stern has a closeup photo, Wikimedia has two photos and Bing has a satellite view. Ships must pass between this lighthouse and the Pedra do Jacaré lighthouse (next entry). Located in mid-river about 35 km (22 mi) east of Manaus. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-281; BR-0428; Admiralty G0059.6.
Pedra do Jacaré (3?)
2016 (station established 1924). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); red flash every 3 s. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower mounted on a tall, round stepped base. Lighthouse painted white; the base is unpainted. Trabas has a closeup photo by Günther Hess and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was rebuilt after a collision with a ferry in 2011. Another collision in 2014 toppled the tower, but the Navy announced that the lighthouse would be rebuilt again in 2015-16. Located in mid-river about 32 km (20 mi) east of Manaus and 2.5 km (1.5 mi) southwest of the Moronas lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-280; BR-0432; Admiralty G0059.8.
* Manaus Alfândega
1912(?). Active(?). Approx. 22 m (72 ft) square castellated masonry tower with a round lantern, attached to an ornate 3-story customs house. The tower is brown and white; the lantern is painted in a black and yellow checkerboard pattern. A photo by Nicholas Laughlin is at right, another excellent photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The Alfândega (customs house) of Manaus is one of the city's best-known landmarks; it was prefabricated in Britain, shipped to the Amazon, and reassembled stone by stone. The building is now the Port Captain's office. Located on the Avenida Marquesa da Santa Cruz in downtown Manaus, the capital of Amazonas, about 1200 km (750 mi) by air west of Belém. Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS BRA-283.
Alfândega de Manaus
Alfândega de Manaus, March 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Nicholas Laughlin

Adjoining pages: North: French Guiana | South: North Northeast Coast

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted February 16, 2004. Checked and revised March 31, 2019. Lighthouses: 34. Site copyright 2019 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.