Lighthouses of Grenada
Grenada is an island nation at the southern end of the Lesser Antilles.
Although it was colonized initially by the French it was a British colony
from 1762 until it achieved independence in 1974. After the historic
Point Saline Light was demolished in the early 1980s the country had
no active traditional lighthouses except for the very small Fort George beacon. This has changed recently with the building of
a private lighthouse at Prickly Point. In addition, Grenada has several
other sites of interest to lighthouse fans, including a Swedish lightship
in retirement as a marina restaurant.
Navigational aids in Grenada are presumably maintained by the Grenada Ports Authority.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume
J of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List
numbers are from Publication 110.
- General Sources
- Online List of Lights - Grenada
- Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
- World of Lighthouses - Grenada
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Mittelamerikas und der Karabik auf historischen Postkarten
- Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
- Navigational chart for Grenada.
Point Saline lantern at airport entrance, Grenada,
Google Maps street view by Nelson Garcez
- *** Swedish
Lightship 23 Västra Banken
- 1901 (Bergsunds Mekaniska Verkstad, Stockholm). Decommissioned 1970. 28
m (89 ft) steel lightship. The original superstructure of the ship was removed
and is on display at a museum in Öregrund, Sweden; the ship now carries
a modern superstructure and the light tower taken from lightship 21 Trelleborgs
Redd. The light tower is placed near the stern; the original was amidships.
Hull painted red, superstructure white, lantern blue. A 2007 photo taken at the ship's new home in Grenada is available, Steve Brett has a closeup,
Lightphotos.net has a photo, Thomas Karrer has a street view, and Google has a satellite view. From 1923 to 1970 the lightship served on the Västra Banken
station in the Baltic Sea off Gävle,
Sweden, north of Stockholm. After deactivation the lightship was sold as
a restaurant. In 1999 it was sold again and moved to Stockholm as a houseboat.
In November 2005 it was sold a third time, to developers of a marina and
resort in Grenada. The ship was towed to Rostock, Germany, to be restored
and re-equipped. It was then loaded
on the MV Schippersgracht and carried to the West Indies, arriving
at the new marina in December 2006. The ship was opened as a restaurant and
conference center in June 2007. Located at Le Phare Bleu Marina on the
south coast of Grenada, 5.5 km (3.5 mi) southeast of St. George's. Site
open; ship open daily. Owner/site manager: Le
Phare Bleu Marina and Resort. Formerly ARLHS SWE-256.
- * Prickly
Point (L'Anse aux Épines)
- Date unknown (modern). Active (privately maintained); focal plane
about 30 m (98 ft); continuous red light. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) round
tower with an observation room, topped by a mast. Lighthouse painted
light green. Jennifer Lyons has a 2018 photo (also seen at right), Luca Patriccioli has a photo,
Bob Hall has a closeup,
Brian Marsh has a street view, and Google has a satellite
view. Located at Prickly Point, the southern tip of Grenada. Site
and tower closed (private property), but the lighthouse can be seen
from nearby. Owner/site manager: private. Admiralty J5830.3; NGA 15161.
Prickly Point Light, Grenada, August 2018
Google Plus photo by Jennifer Lyons
- * [Pointe
- 1904. Inactive since the early 1980s. The original lighthouse was
an 8.5 m (28 ft) steel post supporting a lantern and gallery. Huelse's
postcard view is at right. In 1932, the lantern was transferred to
the top of a 15 m (49 ft) concrete (?) tower painted with black and white horizontal bands. A 1970s photo (halfway down the page) of the 1932 lighthouse is available, and Huelse also has a postcard
view of that lighthouse. Sadly, the light was deactivated and
the tower demolished in the early 1980s. The lantern is now displayed at the nearby international airport. Part of a street view by Nelson Garcez is at the top of this page, and the short shadow of the lighthouse is visible at the airport entrance in Google's satellite view. Site open. Owner/site manager: Maurice Bishop International Airport. ARLHS GRD-002.
- Petits Cabrits
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 108 m (354 ft); three white flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 20 s. Approx. 7 m (23 ft) skeletal tower mounted on a square 1-story equipment building. Trabas has Rainer Arndt's photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a headland about 4 km (2.5 mi) southwest of St. George's. Site status unknown. Admiralty J5830.2; NGA 15174.
- * St. George's Harbour (Fort
- 1890s. Inactive at least since 2017. 4 m (15 ft) octagonal cylindrical brick tower mounted
on the battlements of Fort George,
a French fort built in 1707. Neal Doan's photo is at right, another good photo and a third photo (third photo on the page) are available, Bernd Claußen has photos, Lightphotos.net has a photo, Trabas has a photo by Arno Siering, and Peter Steiner has a street view, but the small building is hard to see in Google's satellite view of the fort. A Fresnel
lens, probably fifth order, was formerly mounted in the tower but has been removed, we hope for safekeeping. Doan visited the fort in November 2010 and found the structure to be in poor condition. Located on the north side of the entrance to
the harbor of St. George's, the capital of Grenada. Site and tower
apparently open. Site manager: Government of Grenada. ARLHS GRD-001; ex-Admiralty J5834; NGA 15176.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
St. George's Harbour Light, Fort George, November 2010
photo copyright Neal Doan; used by permission
Adjoining pages: North: St. Vincent and the Grenadines | South: Trinidad and Tobago
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Posted December 8, 2005. Checked and revised February 8, 2019. Lighthouses: 3; lightships: 1. Site copyright 2019 Russ Rowlett and
the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.