Lighthouses of New Zealand: Southern North Island

New Zealand is an independent island nation in the southwestern corner of the Pacific Ocean. Its location is remote, roughly 2000 km (1200 mi) southeast of Australia and 1000 km (600 mi) south of New Caledonia and Fiji. Settled in the 13th Century by a Polynesian people known as the Māori, it was colonized by Great Britain in 1840. It has been part of the British Empire and then the British Commonwealth ever since. It has a population of about 5 million.

New Zealand is larger than many Northern Hemisphere residents might suppose: roughly 1600 km (1000 miles) long from north to south, stretching from the subtropical north to the cool temperate south. It includes two large islands, North Island and South Island, with many smaller islands. This page describes lighthouses of the southern half of North Island (Te Ika-a-Māui) and nearby smaller islands, including the Gisborne, Hawke's Bay, Wellington, Manawatū-Whanganui, and Taranaki Regions.

Most of the coastline of New Zealand is high and scenic. Many of the lighthouses are at remote locations and lighthouse fans need a good pair of hiking shoes to reach some of them, if they can be reached at all.

Coastal lighthouses are operated and maintained by Maritime New Zealand (MNZ). Information on most of these lighthouses is readily available on the MNZ web site. Harbor lighthouses, however, are owned and maintained by local harbor authorities and less information is available for most of them. There is no national lighthouse preservation group but Heritage New Zealand has acted to preserve several lighthouses after they were deactivated.

Many of the place names in New Zealand are in the Māori language; the Māori phrase for a lighthouse is whare rama or whare tūrama; motu is an island, toka is a rock, and whanga is a harbor.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from Volume K of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA light list numbers are from NGA Publication 111.

General Sources
Maritime New Zealand - Lighthouses of New Zealand
Information available on Maritime New Zealand's lighthouse site.
List of Lights
Official light lists posted by Land Information New Zealand.
Encyclopedia of New Zealand - Lighthouses
An excellent historical account by Helen Beaglehole.
List of Lighthouses in New Zealand
Index to Wikipedia articles.
Leuchttürme.net - Neuseeland
Photos and data posted by Malte Werning.
New Zealand Lighthouses
Data and photos posted by Kevin Mulcahy of Lighthouses.net.au.
World of Lighthouses - New Zealand
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Lighthouses in New Zealand
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia Commons.
New Zealand Lighthouses
Photos taken in 2017 by Larry Myhre.
Online List of Lights - New Zealand
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas. Most of the photos for North Island are by Michael Boucher.
Leuchttürme Australiens und Ozeaniens auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
GPSNavigationCharts
Navigation chart information for New Zealand.
Navionics Charts
Navigation chart information for New Zealand.
 


Cape Palliser Light, Cook Strait, January 2013
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Kathrin & Stefan Marks

Gisborne Region Lighthouses
* East Cape
1900 (relocated to this site in 1922). Active; focal plane 154 m (505 ft); white flash every 10 s. 14 m (46 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern roof is black. Other light station buildings demolished. A photo is at right, Daniel Pietzsch has a good photo, a May 2006 photo shows the tower freshly painted, Wikimedia has a closeup, Trabas has Boucher's closeup, Shaun Neill has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse marks the easternmost point of New Zealand; located only 128 km (80 mi) west of the International Date Line, it is the first lighthouse to see the sunrise of a new day. It was built originally on East Island, about 3 km (2 mi) off the cape, but it was relocated to the mainland in 1922 after earthquake-triggered landslides threatened that location. The site is spectacular. Located at the end of East Cape Road about 20 km (19 mi) east of NZ 35 at Te Araroa. Parking provided, but it's a stiff climb up more than 500 steps to the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Operator/site manager: Maritime New Zealand. ARLHS NZL-020; Admiralty K3932; NGA 4436.
[Gable End Foreland]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 210 m (689 ft); white flash every 15 s. 4 m (13 ft) square metal cabinet. Mulcahy has a photo and Google has a satellite view. Located on a remote headland about 30 km (19 mi) northeast of Gisborne. Site status unknown. Operator/site manager: Maritime New Zealand. ARLHS NZL-078; Admiralty K3950; NGA 4456.
Tuaheni (Tuahine, Tuahene) Point (3)
1911 (station established 1905). Inactive since the 1950s. Approx. 24 m (79 ft) structure, including an 8 m (26 ft) octagonal cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, now in ruins, perched atop a tall concrete pillar. The iron tower is red with rust. Phillips has a page for the lighthouse, Jordan Kappely has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Endangered. The first lighthouse burned soon after it was built, and its replacement (1909) was damaged by a landslide. The active light has been moved to a post atop the headland above the cape (focal plane 128 m (420 ft); white light, 2 s on, 6 s off). Tuaheni Point is a sharp cape at the end of the Mahia Peninsula. Located on a rock just off the tip of the point, about 6 km (3.5 mi) southeast of Gisborne at the south end of Wainui Beach. Site open, but difficult to access; tower closed. Modern light (Operator: Maritime New Zealand): Admiralty K3954; NGA 4460.
* Waikanae Beach Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); continuous green light. 21 m (69 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying an orange triangular daymark. Google has a street view and a satellite view. The Admiralty dropped this light in 2016 when the front light was converted to a directional light. However, the New Zealand light list continues to list the rear light as well. Located on Awapuni Road southwest of Gisborne. Operator: Eastland Port. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty K3958.1; NGA 4468.
East Cape Light
East Cape Light, East Cape, March 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Mark (aa440)

Hawke's Bay Region Lighthouses
Hawke Bay is a large bight on the southeast coast of North Island, extending about 100 km (60 mi) from the Mahia Peninsula to Cape Kidnappers.
[Table Cape]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 188 m (617 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 3 m (10 ft) round concrete or fiberglass tower. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. Located on the northeastern cape of the Mahia Peninsula. Site status unknown. Operator: Maritime New Zealand. Admiralty K3969; NGA 4484.
Portland Island (2)
1958 (station established 1878). Active; focal plane 187 m (614 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 8 m (26 ft) square pyramidal steel tower with slatted daymark painted white. Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was relocated to Wairoa (next entry). Resident keepers maintained the new light until 1982. Located on Portland Island (Waikawa), just off the tip of the Mahia Peninsula, at the northern entrance to Hawkes Bay about 65 km (40 mi) southeast of Wairoa. Accessible only by boat; the island is a privately owned sheep farm. Site status unknown. Operator/site manager: Maritime New Zealand. ARLHS NZL-042; Admiralty K3970; NGA 4488.
* Portland Island (1) (relocated to Wairoa)
1878 (John Blackett). Inactive at its original site since 1958 but a continuous white light is displayed from sunset to midnight each night. 7 m (23 ft) hexagonal wood tower with lantern, copper dome and gallery, painted white. The lantern contains the original 2nd order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse was relocated in 1961 to Wairoa, where it is the town's best known landmark and historical site. Philip Fierlinger has an excellent photo, Phil Rickerby has a 2008 closeup, Wikimedia has a photo, Google has a closeup street view, and Bing has a satellite view. In 2016 a replica of the original auxiliary light was added to the tower; this light was used to warn mariners away from Bull Rock east of Portland Island. The lighthouse was relighted in April 2016 and later in that year it was repainted by volunteers. Located on the west side of the Wairoa River at the NZ 2 bridge, about 3 km (2 mi) north of the ocean. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Wairoa District Council. ARLHS NZL-089.

Portland Island Light, Wairoa, March 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Mark (aa440)
#Whirinaki Point (Whirinaki Bluff)
Date unknown. Demolished and removed in 2006. This light was described as a 16 m (52 ft) skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available, and Google's satellite view of the location shows no trace of the structure. A Google street view shows the bluff on which the light stood. Located on a bluff about 20 km (13 mi) north of Napier. Site status unknown. ARLHS NZL-057; ex-Admiralty K3980.
* Napier Southern Range Front
Date unknown. Inactive since 2006. 16 m (52 ft) square pyramidal wood skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. The seaward face of the lighthouse also carries a white slatted daymark. Werning's photo is at right, a 2012 photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located off the Main North Road about 3.5 km (2.5 mi) north of Napier. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty K3982.1; ex-NGA 4500.
* Napier Common Range Rear
Date unknown. Inactive since 2006. 21 m (69 ft) square pyramidal wood skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. The seaward face of the lighthouse also carries a slatted daymark painted white with a red vertical stripe. Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. Located 331 m (362 yd) west of the Southern front light. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty K3982; ex-NGA 4504.
* [Westshore (Leading Light)]
2006. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); flash every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. The tower also carries the South Pania Channel Directional Light. 13 m (43 ft) post with a large rectangular gallery. Trabas has Boucher's photo and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located beside the Main North Road just north of the Napier Airport. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Napier Port. Admiralty K3981; NGA 4506.
* [PEL 6 Westshore (Leading Light)]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); continuous white, red or green light. Light mounted on the side of a 17 m (56 ft) concrete mast. Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located behind the Westshore School in Napier. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Napier Port. Admiralty K3981.2; NGA 4515.
Napier Southern Range Front Light
Napier Southern Range Front Light, Napier
photo copyright Malte Werning; used by permission
* Port Napier East Pier (Sulphur Point)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); continuous white, red or green light; also a red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 5 m (17 ft) hexagonal harbor control kiosk, originally painted blue. Trabas has Boucher's photo (also seen at right) and Google has a street view and a satellite view. When Arno Siering visited in 2018 he found the structure painted with decorative art work. Located on the east side of the entrance to the small boat harbor of Napier. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Napier Port. Admiralty K3981.5; NGA 4516.
* Napier Harbour
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white, red or green light, continuous or alternating, depending on direction. Lantern mounted atop a round silo owned by the Holcim Cement company. Google has a street view (the gray tower on the right) and a satellite view. Located on the wharf of Napier Harbour. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Napier Port. Admiralty K3983.15; NGA 4555.
* [Cape Kidnappers]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 112 m (367 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 4 m (13 ft) square cylindrical steel tower topped by a short mast. Though too small to be considered a real lighthouse, this little tower is well known as the site of a huge nesting colony of Australian gannets. Google has a street view and a satellite view. Frequently visited by ecotours. Located on the cape at the southern end of Hawkes Bay about 15 miles east of Hastings. Site open, tower closed. Operator/site manager: Maritime New Zealand. ARLHS NZL-009; Admiralty K3992; NGA 4564.
[Blackhead Point]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 4 m (13 ft) round concrete or fiberglass tower. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. Located on a remote headland about 80 km (50 mi) southwest of Cape Kidnappers. Site status unknown. Operator: Maritime New Zealand. Admiralty K3993; NGA 4568.

Napier East Pier Light, Napier
photo copyright Michael Boucher; used by permission

Wellington Region (Cook Strait Area) Lighthouses

Cook Strait, the passage between New Zealand's North and South Islands, is named for Capt. James Cook, who discovered it in 1770. West of Wellington the strait narrows to 23 km (14 mi) in width. Strong currents and rocky shoals make the passage a difficult one for navigators.

East Coast Lighthouse
* Castle Point
1913. Active; focal plane 52 m (170 ft); three white flashes every 30 s. 23 m (75 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern roof is gray. The original 2nd order Fresnel lens continues in use. Other light station buildings demolished. Ari Bakker's photo is at right, Trabas has Boucher's photo, Zachary Gleisner has a fine closeup photo, Keith Miller has a photo, Philipp Mielke has a beautiful street view, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was prefabricated in Wellington. In 2001 there was a report the lighthouse might be deactivated, but this did not happen. The causeway connecting the station to the mainland was demolished in 2008 because it had become unsafe, but it is still possible to reach the lighthouse on foot except during the highest tides. Located at the end of Castlepoint Road about 65 km (40 mi) southeast of Masterton. Parking provided. Site open, tower closed. Operator/site manager: Maritime New Zealand. ARLHS NZL-016; Admiralty K3994; NGA 4572.
[Honeycomb Rock]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); white light, 2 s on, 8 s off. 4 m (13 ft) round metal tower. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. The Honeycomb Rock area is famous for its unusual rock forms; it is accessible by a popular but strenuous walking track. Located on the rugged Wairarapa coast, halfway between Castle Point and Cape Palliser. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Maritime New Zealand. Admiralty K3998; NGA 4576.

Eastern Cook Strait Lighthouses
Cape Palliser
1897. Active; focal plane 78 m (256 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 18 m (59 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands (the only New Zealand lighthouse with this daymark). The original 2nd order Fresnel lens continues in use. The two keeper's houses are now private residences. A photo by Kathrin & Stefan Marks is at the top of this page, Werning has a good photo, Walter Davis has a good closeup photo, Trevor Mordaunt has a spectacular street view from the top of the cape, Google also has a distant street view from below the lighthouse, and Google has a satellite view. Prefabricated in Wellington, the lighthouse marks the extreme southeastern tip of the North Island and the eastern entrance to Cook Strait and Wellington. The tower was repainted early in 2008, as seen in an April photo, and again in 2015. A gravel road reaches the light station; 4WD recommended. No parking is provided and there's a climb of 258 steps to the lighthouse. Site open if you can get there, tower closed. Operator/site manager: Maritime New Zealand. ARLHS NZL-011; Admiralty K4000; NGA K4580.
Castle Point Light
Castle Point Light, Castlepoint, May 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Ari Bakker
Baring Head
1935. Active; focal plane 87 m (286 ft); white light, 9 s on, 6 s off. 12 m (40 ft) octagonal concrete tower with six ribs, lantern, and gallery. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is gray. Weather station. A photo is at right, Eugene Metreveli has a 2018 closeup photo, Trabas has Boucher's photo, Nick Mumford has a lovely photo, another closeup photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. The last traditional lighthouse built in New Zealand, this tower replaced the older Pencarrow Head Light as the entrance light for the approach to Wellington. In 2005 the light was moved to an LED beacon mounted on the gallery. In 2010 the Greater Wellington Regional Council paid $1.75 million to purchase the light station for inclusion in the East Harbour Regional Park. The Friends of Baring Head was organized to support restoration of the station and its surroundings. There are plans to renovate the two keepers houses for overnight accommodations. Renovations of the houses were underway in 2019-20. The site commands a spectacular view across Cook Strait. Located on a headland about 40 km (25 mi) southeast of Wellington, marking the eastern entrance to Somes Sound. Accessible by a hiking trail from a trailhead off the Coast Road; allow three hours for a hike to the lighthouse and back. Site normally open (may be closed during restoration projects), tower closed. Operator/site manager: Maritime New Zealand. Site manager: Greater Wellington Regional Council (Baring Head). ARLHS NZL-002; Admiralty K4004; NGA 4584.

Baring Head Light, Wellington, December 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo
by Pseudopanax
** Pencarrow (1) (Old Pencarrow Head)
1859. Inactive since 1935. 11.5 m (38 ft) tapered octagonal cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern roof is black. Aidan Wojdas's photo is at right, a January 2006 photo shows the lighthouse freshly painted and apparently in excellent condition, Wikimedia has a closeup photo, Alister McKeown has a 2018 photo, James Lamb has a street view from the base of the tower, and Bing has a satellite view. This is New Zealand's oldest lighthouse, designed by Colonial Engineer Edward Roberts, prefabricated in England by Woodside Ironworks, and installed by Edward George Wright. Deactivated in 1935 in favor of the Baring Head lighthouse, the lighthouse was transferred to the N.Z. Historic Places Trust in 1966. In June 2008 the Trust completed a project to restore the lantern roof. Located atop the headland in East Harbour Regional Park. Accessible by bicycle or by a hike of about two hours one way from Burdans Gate on the Pencarrow Coastal Road south of Eastbourne. Site open, tower generally closed. Owner/site manager: Heritage New Zealand. ARLHS NZL-068.
* Pencarrow (2) (Pencarrow Sector)
1906. Active; focal plane 18 m (60 ft); three flashes, red or white depending on direction, every 12 s. 17 m (56 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. Richard Mayston has a good closeup, Aidan Wojdas has a photo, Trabas has Thomas Philipp's photo, a photo showing both Pencarrow lighthouses is available, and Google has a satellite view. A 2009 photo shows that the lighthouse was repainted and refurbished in that year. Built as a steel skeletal tower, this lighthouse was encased in concrete during the 1930s. Located on the beach below the original lighthouse; accessible by bicycle or by a hike of about two hours one way from Burdans Gate on the Pencarrow Coastal Road south of Eastbourne. Site open, tower closed. Owner/operator: Greater Wellington Harbours. Site manager: East Harbour Regional Park. ARLHS NZL-039; Admiralty K4006; NGA 4588.

Wellington Harbour Lighthouses
Wellington Entrance Range Front
Date unknown (station established 1915). Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); quick-flashing white light. 4 m (13 ft) round cast iron lantern mounted on a square platform supported by pilings. Lantern painted white. Trabas has Boucher's photo, Myhre has a foggy photo and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the Wellington entrance channel about 2 km (1.25 mi) east of the Seatoun neighborhood of the city. Accessible only by boat. Owner/operator: Greater Wellington Harbours. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty K4010; NGA 4592.
Old Pencarrow Light
1859 Pencarrow Light, Lower Hutt, October 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Aidan Wojdas
Hope Shoal (Wellington Entrance Range Rear) (2)
Around 2010 (station established 1915). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white, red, or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on , 2 s off. 17 m (56 ft) round steel caisson topped by a round barbell-shaped steel tower. Lighthouse painted with a daymark in the form of orange and yellow horizontal bands. Trabas has Boucher's photo, Myhre has a foggy photo and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was described as a steel cylinder. Located in Somes Sound about 2.1 km (1.34 mi) north of the front light and 700 m (770 yd) southwest of Makaro (Ward) Island. Accessible only by boat. Owner/operator: Greater Wellington Harbours. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty K4010.1; NGA 4596.
* Matiu/Somes Island (2)
1900 (station established 1866). Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); light on 4 s, off 6 s: white, red, or green depending on direction of approach. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a small workshed. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof is black. The other light station buildings were demolished after automation in 1924. Matt Lamont's photo is at right, David Leverton has a closeup photo, a 2011 photo is available, Trabas has Boucher's view, and Bing has a satellite view. The original light here, a small octagonal cast iron tower, was relocated in 1903 to Tuhawaiki Point near Timaru on South Island. Matiu/Somes Island, formerly a quarantine station for both people and animals, was closed to the public until 1995. Now it is a well known ecological reserve and sanctuary for native wildlife, accessible from downtown Wellington by passenger ferry. Located on the south side of the island in Wellington Harbour. Site open, tower closed. Owner/operator: Greater Wellington Harbours. Site manager: N.Z. Department of Conservation (Matiu/Somes Island Sanctuary). ARLHS NZL-047; Admiralty K4014; NGA 4620.
Jerningham Point
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); quick-flashing red light. 6 m (20 ft) round white concrete tower. Myhre has a photo, Trabas has Boucher's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located off the tip of the promontory sheltering the east side of Wellington's inner harbor. Accessible only by boat. Owner/operator: Greater Wellington Harbours. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty K4024; NGA 4688.
* Point Halswell
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); white flash every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) octagonal concrete tower with gallery, painted in a black and white checkerboard pattern. Matt Feildo also has a photo, Shannon Doyle has a closeup photo, Trabas has Boucher's photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located just off the tip of the Miramar Peninsula, which projects northward into Wellington Harbour. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. Owner/operator: Greater Wellington Harbours. ARLHS NZL-061; Admiralty K4018; NGA 4708.
Steeple Rock
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); red or white light, depending on direction, 3 s on, 3 s off. 8 m (26 ft) round tower colored white with a narrow red horizontal band. Trabas has Boucher's photo, Liz Ritchie has a distant view, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the west side of the entrance channel to Wellington Harbour. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/operator: Greater Wellington Harbours. Admiralty K4011; NGA 4604.

Matiu/Somes Island Light, Wellington Harbour, January 2008
Wikimedia public domain photo
by Matt Lamont

Western Cook Strait Lighthouses
Karori Rock
1915. Inactive since 1996. 20 m (65 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern. One of New Zealand's first automated lighthouses, this tower was built after the steamer Penguin wrecked on the rock in 1909. Difficult to service or repair due to its highly exposed location, it was replaced by the Tongue Point Light in 1996. The tower has a definite lean and is called "Wellington's leaning lighthouse." A photo by Wade Tregaskis is at right, Chris Bryant also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view and a street view from the beach. Located on an islet in Cook Strait off the western entrance to Wellington Harbour. Accessible only by boat; there are distant views from Tongue Point. Owner/site manager: Maritime New Zealand. ARLHS NZL-031.
[Tongue Point]
1996. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); flash every 4 s, alternating red and white. 4 m (13 ft) square cylindrical steel tower topped by a short mast. Trabas has Boucher's distant view and Google has a satellite view. Sibling of the Cape Kidnappers Light (above). The lighthouse replaced the Karori Rock Light. The area is famous for its seal colonies. Located on a bluff above Cook Strait southwest of Wellington. Accessible by 4WD. Site open, tower closed. Operator/site manager: Maritime New Zealand. ARLHS NZL-064; Admiralty K4062.1; NGA 4717.
[Ohau Point]
1996. Active; focal plane 104 m (341 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 4 m (13 ft) square cylindrical steel tower topped by a short mast. Google has a satellite view. Sibling of the Cape Kidnappers Light (above). Located on a promontory marking the east side of the entrance to the narrowest section of Cook Strait. Site status unknown. Operator/site manager: Maritime New Zealand. ARLHS NZL-060; Admiralty K4066.2; NGA 4728.
Karori Rock Light
Karori Rock Light, Wellington, March 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Wade Tregaskis
[Mana Island]
1865. Inactive since 1877. The original lighthouse, seen below, was relocated to Cape Egmont in 1881 after being deactivated in favor of The Brothers Light (see South Island). The brick foundation of the lighthouse remains; a square pyramidal daymarker has been built on it. Charles Jarvie has a closeup photo and Google has a satellite view. Mana Island is a 3 km (2 mi) long island located about 3 km (2 mi) offshore and 8 km (5 mi) west of the entrance to Porirua harbor. Located at the northwest point of the island, accessible by a popular hiking trail. Site open. Site manager: N.Z. Department of Conservation (Mana Island Scientific Reserve). ARLHS NZL-032.

Taranaki Region (West Coast) Lighthouses

* Cape Egmont
1865 (relocated to this site in 1881). Active; focal plane 33 m (109 ft); white flash every 8 s. 20 m (65 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern roof is black. The original 1st order Fresnel lens, removed in 2000, is now displayed in a 2/3 replica of the lighthouse (see below under faux lighthouses). The keeper's house is now a private residence. Dave Young's photo is at right, Mike Hollman has a fine 2009 photo, Trabas has a closeup photo, Mel Hodgkinson has another photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The active Taranaki volcano stands behind the lighthouse in the Hollman and Brophy photos. Prefabricated in England by McLean, Simpson and Co., the lighthouse was first constructed on Mana Island near Wellington, but its light was confused with that of the Pencarrow Head Light. The tower was relocated to Cape Egmont in 1877 but it was not activated there until 1881. A sibling of the Tiritiri Matangi Light, the lighthouse marks the southwesternmost point of North Island and the northwestern entrance to Cook Strait. Located at the end of Cape Road near Pungarehu. Site open, tower closed. Operator/site manager: Maritime New Zealand. ARLHS NZL-007; Admiralty K4088; NGA 4788.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  • Napier Bluff (1873-1948), Hawkes Bay. This historic lighthouse has been demolished. A historic photo (halfway down the page) is available. Google has a street view of the Bluff Hill Overlook, which occupies the site of the lighthouse. ARLHS NZL-071.

Cape Egmont Light, Cape Egmont, August 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Dave Young

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Northern North Island | South: South Island

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted April 2, 2004. Checked and revised December 3, 2019. Lighthouses: 23. Site copyright 2019 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.