Lighthouses of Southeastern Ontario

The Canadian province of Ontario has a tremendous width east to west, including the entire Canadian side of the Great Lakes. Across this vast area there were once about 250 lighthouses. More than 130 remain, a large percentage of them active. This page lists the lighthouses in the southeastern part of the province including the Ottawa and upper St. Lawrence Rivers. Lighthouses of Lake Ontario are listed on the Southern Ontario page.

Aids to navigation in Canada are maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard. In 2008, Parliament passed the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act to designate and protect historic lighthouses. In 2010, the Coast Guard declared the great majority of lighthouses to be surplus, and there is fear that this may lead to the disposal and possible destruction of many lighthouses. This fear is particularly acute in more remote areas, where the lighthouses do not enjoy the support of local preservation groups. In fact, dozens of lighthouses have already been lost in this region.

A note: this page has been greatly improved by the comments and corrections of Michel Forand.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. CCG numbers are from the Inland Waters volume of the List of Lights, Buoys, and Fog Signals of Fisheries and Oceans Canada. For lights of the St. lawrence Seaway, Admiralty numbers are from Volume H of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals and U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110. For lights near the international border, USCG numbers are from volume 7 of the U.S. Coast Guard Light List.

General Sources
Ontario Canada Lighthouses
Excellent photos plus historical and visitor information from Kraig Anderson's LighthouseFriends.com web site.
Lighthouses in Ontario, Canada
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Lighthouses of Ontario
An extension of Bryan Penberthy's US-lighthouses.com site.
Lighthouses in Ontario
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Canadian part of Great Lakes
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Online List of Lights - Canada
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas. Photos for the St. Lawrence are by Michael Boucher.
Leuchttürme Kanadas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
List of Lights, Buoys, and Fog Signals
Official Canadian light lists.
NOAA Nautical Chart On-Line Viewer: Great Lakes
U.S nautical charts for the St. Lawrence River can be viewed online.
GPSNauticalCharts
Nautical chart information for southeastern Ontario.
NOAA Nautical Chart Catalog and Viewer: Great Lakes
U.S. nautical charts for the regions along the border can be viewed online.

Windmill Point Light
Windmill Point Light, Prescott, July 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Mac Armstrong


Knapp Point Light, Wolfe Island
Canadian Coast Guard photo

Ottawa River Lighthouses (see also Western Québec)

Prescott and Russell United Counties Lighthouses
L'Orignal Range Front
1915. Inactive since the early 1990s. 9 m (29 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white with red trim. Trees mostly hide the tower in Google's satellite view. Located in a private campground on the south river bank on the promontory of Pointe Laviolette (Furnis Point), west of the village of L'Orignal. Site closed, although visitors may ask for permission to view the lighthouse; tower closed. Owner/site manager: A La Rochelle Campground. ARLHS CAN-1035.
L'Orignal Range Rear
1915. Inactive since the early 1990s. 10 m (33 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white with red trim. Trees mostly hide the tower in Google's satellite view. Located on the promontory of Pointe Laviolette (Furnis Point), about 60 m (200 ft) west of the front light. Site closed, although visitors may ask for permission to view the lighthouse; tower closed. Owner/site manager: A La Rochelle Campground. ARLHS CAN-1036.

Ottawa Lighthouses
[Green Shoal (Beacon Hill) (2)]
1900 (station established 1860). Inactive since the 1970s. This was a standard square "pepperpot" lighthouse mounted on a large round concrete pier. The lighthouse was removed, but the pier remains. Google has a satellite view. The light was replaced by a green buoy (CCG 1295.1). Located off Lower Duck Island near the Beacon Hill neighborhood in eastern Ottawa. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-811.
* Cape Race (1) (relocated to Ottawa)
1856. Inactive since 1980. 14 m (46 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower, painted with a red and white checkerboard pattern; lantern and gallery are red. Intiaz Rahim's photo is at right, Wikipedia has an article with a photo, Trent Ralston has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This historic lighthouse was built at Cape Race, Newfoundland. In 1907 it was relocated to Cape North, Nova Scotia, where it remained in service until 1980. It was then relocated to the Museum of Science and Technology in Ottawa, where it stands at the entrance to the Museum's campus. The 3rd order Fresnel lens used at Cape North is mounted in the lantern. In June 2010 an earthquake spilled mercury from the rotating mechanism, but the contamination was successfully cleaned up. In 2014 the museum was closed for badly needed renovation; however, the lighthouse remained accessible. The rebuilt museum reopened in November 2017. Located at St. Laurent Boulevard and Russell Road on the southeast side of Ottawa. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Museum of Science and Technology. ARLHS CAN-865.
[Aylmer Island (2?)]
Date unknown (station established 1898). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); green flash every 4 s. 7.5 m (25 ft) round cylindrical metal tower. Lighthouse painted white with a green band at the top. A closeup photo and a view from the river are available, and Google has a satellite view. The original light was a pepperpot-style square tower. Located on a small island off Aylmer, Québec, a short distance upstream from Ottawa. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-867; CCG 1299.

Cape Race Light at Ottawa, July 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Intiaz Rahim

Renfrew County Lighthouses
[Arnprior Island (2?)]
Date unknown (station established 1906). Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); white flash every 4 s. 4 m (13 ft) round cylindrical tower mounted on the square concrete pier of the original lighthouse. Lighthouse painted white with a red band at the top. David McNeill has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Parks Canada has a historic photo of the original lighthouse, which survived at least into the 1970s; apparently it was destroyed by fire. Note: although it is regarded as an Ontario lighthouse, Google Maps places the light in Quebec. Located on an islet in the middle of the river off Arnprior. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1044; CCG 1304.
* Sand Point
1909. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); continuous white light. 7 m (23 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white; lantern painted green. A 2013 photo is at right, Lighthouse Digest has Michel Forand's photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This is the only surviving Ottawa River lighthouse easily accessible to the public. In 2015 the Arnprior and District Historical Society asked Arnprior Township to take ownership of the lighthouse and moved to have it recognized as a historic monument. Located at the end of the pier in the village of Sand Point, about 10 km (6 mi) northwest of Arnprior. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-769; CCG 1305.
Deep River Islet (2)
1913 (station established 1873). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white flash every 4 s. 8 m (27 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern, painted white. Lighthouse Digest has a Coast Guard photo, and Google has a satellite view. This obscure and rarely visited lighthouse is located on an island at a sharp bend in the river about 16 km (10 mi) southeast of the town of Deep River. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-993; CCG 1311.
McQuestin Point
1915. Active; focal plane 6.5 m (21 ft); white flash every 4 s. 5.5 m (18 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern, painted white. Lighthouse Digest has a Coast Guard photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on the south bank of the river about 5 km (3 mi) east of the town of Deep River. Site and tower closed (private property). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1039; CCG 1312.

Sand Point Light, Sand Point, August 2013
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by cisko66

St. Lawrence River Lighthouses (see also Upstate New York)

Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry United Counties Lighthouses
[Lancaster Bar (D41) (2?)]
Date unknown (station established 1879). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white flash every 4 s. 6.5 m ( 21 ft) round tower painted white with a green band at the top. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The original light was a pepperpot-style square tower. Located on a tiny island at the northeastern end of a shoal east of Lancaster. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1071; Admiralty H2552; CCG 0116.
Saint-Anicet West Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22.5 m (74 ft); continuous white light. 22.5 m (74 ft) round white concrete tower carrying a triangular slatted daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Lighthouse Digest has a Coast Guard photo, and Google has a satellite view. This range guides vessels on a long upstream reach. Located in the river about 1.6 km (1 mi) southwest of Lancaster Bar. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty H2551.1; NGA 6188; CCG 0114.2.
Lancaster (2) (Range Front)
1886 (station established 1844). Active; focal plane 11.5 m (38 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 10 m (33 ft) hexagonal wood tower with gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern removed. The tower also carries a triangular daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. A Coast Guard photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse burned in 1885. The Lancaster Range was established at the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1959; it is an upstream range, guiding westbound vessels past South Lancaster. Located on a crib near the middle of the river off Lancaster. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1037; Admiralty H2556; NGA 6228; CCG 0123.
Lancaster Range Rear
1959(?). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); continuous white light. 24 m (79 ft) round cylindrical (concrete?) tower, painted white. The tower also carries a triangular daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a satellite view. Located on a crib near the middle of the river, 800 m (1/2 mi) southwest of the front light, south of Lancaster. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. Admiralty H2556.1; NGA 6232; CCG 0124.
Butternut Island Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); continuous white light. 19 m (62 ft) round cylindrical (concrete?) tower, painted white. The tower also carries a triangular daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a satellite view. This range guides vessels downstream. Located on a crib 800 m (1/2 mi) northeast of Butternut Island and a similar distance southeast of the Lancaster Range Front Light. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. Admiralty H2560.1; NGA 6244; CCG 0127.

Lancaster Light, Lancaster
Canadian Coast Guard photo
Camerons Island (Thompson Island) Lower Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); continuous white light. 16 m (52 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a triangular daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a satellite view. This range guides vessels upstream south of Butternut Island. Located at the northern tip of Thompson Island. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed (private property). Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: private. Admiralty H2558.1; NGA 6260; CCG 0131.
Camerons Island (Thompson Island) Upper Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); continuous white light. 17 m (56 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a triangular daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a satellite view. This range guides vessels downstream between Hamilton and Thompson Islands. Located at the northern tip of Thompson Island, a short distance west of the Lower Range Rear Light. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed (private property). Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: private. Admiralty H2568.1; NGA 6292; CCG 0137.
* Cornwall Island Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); continuous white light. 16 m (52 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a triangular daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This is an upstream range guiding vessels on a long reach approaching Cornwall. Located at the northeast end of Island Drive, the main road of Cornwall Island (the road is aligned with the range). Site open, tower closed. Admiralty H2578; NGA 6412; CCG 0164.
* Cornwall Island Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30.5 m (100 ft); continuous white light. 12.5 m (40 ft) triangular skeletal tower carrying a triangular daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on Island Drive 605 m (3/8 mi) southwest of the front light. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty H2578.1; NGA 6416; CCG 0165.
Cornwall Island Sector
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); continuous light, white, red or green depending on direction. 13.5 m (44 ft) square skeletal tower carrying an orange triangular daymark and mounted on a round concrete pier. The light guides vessels in both directions through the narrow passage around the south side of Cornwall Island. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located just off the central south coast of Cornwall Island. Accessible only by boat. Admiralty H2604; NGA 6492; USCG 7-0065 (upstream) and 7-0066 (downstream); CCG 0185 (upstream) and 0185.2 (downstream).
* Dickinson Landing (2) (relocated)
1891 (station established 1865). Inactive at least since the 1950s. 7 m (23 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof is gray. A photo is at right, Merri Wolf has a photo, a closeup is available, and Google has a satellite view. Dickinson Landing is one of ten small villages on the St. Lawrence near Cornwall that were flooded during construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway. The St. Lawrence Parks Commission removed many historic buildings from the villages, including the lighthouse, and moved them to a heritage park near Morrisburg called Upper Canada Village. Part of the park is a short canal along the riverbank, and the lighthouse was located at the west end of the canal. Located about 10 km (6 mi) east of Morrisburg off ON 2. Site open, tower closed. Owner: St. Lawrence Parks Commission. Site manager: Upper Canada Village Heritage Park. ARLHS CAN-1060.
Dickinson Landing Light
Dickinson Landing Light, Upper Canada Village, July 2008
Flickr photo copyright Krista; used by permission

Leeds and Grenville United Counties Lighthouses
*** Windmill Point
1873 (tower built as a windmill around 1830). Inactive since 1978. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) old-style round stone tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern and gallery painted red. Mac Armstrong's photo appears at the top of this page, Jeff Rozema has a nice photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The windmill was the site of an important battle in 1838 during a rebellion in the British colony of Upper Canada (now Ontario). The lighthouse was restored by the Friends of Windmill Point and opened as a national historic site in 1996. In 2004, cracks in the exterior were repaired. In 2015-16 the tower was closed for repairs and restoration funded by a $373,000 federal grant; it reopened in August 2016. The tower includes a museum and gift shop. The area was the site of a brief battle during the Upper Canada Rebellion in 1838. Located on Windmill Road just off ON 2 about 2 km (1.3 mi) north of Prescott. Parking is provided across the street, but the road to the site is marked only by a small sign on ON 2. Site open daily all year; tower open (to an observation level just below the gallery) Thursday through Monday in July, August and early September, also on weekends in June and the rest of September. Owner: Parks Canada (Battle of the Windmill National Historic Site). Site manager: Friends of Windmill Point. ARLHS CAN-534.
Doran Shoal Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17.5 m (57 ft); continuous yellow light. 14.5 m (48 ft) triangular skeletal tower carrying a triangular daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view. This range guides vessels downstream. Located in a forest east of Riverside Heights. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. Admiralty H2679.1; USCG 7-0430; CCG 0242.6.
Weaver Shoal Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); continuous white light. 16 m (52 ft) triangular skeletal tower carrying a triangular daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This range guides vessels upstream past a large area of shoals in the center of the river. Located onshore south of Riverside Heights; accessible by road. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. Admiralty H2669.1; USCG 7-0500; CCG 0244.6.
* Mariatown Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); continuous green light. 12.5 m (41 ft) triangular skeletal tower carrying a triangular daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and a satellite view. This range guides vessels downstream in a long reach past Ogden Island. Located in a campground on Lakesore Drive (highway 4) just west of Morrisburg. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Arlor Haven Campground. Admiralty H2693.1; USCG 7-0605; CCG 0259.3.
Drummond Island Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21.5 m (70 ft); continuous red light. 16 m (52 ft) triangular skeletal tower carrying a triangular daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This on a long reach through the Galop Island Canal, a broad passage dredged through Galop Island. Located in the center of Drummond Island about 8 km (5 mi) northeast of Prescott. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. Admiralty H2720.1; USCG 7-0875; CCG 0298.
* Prescott Heritage Harbour
Late 1980s. Active; focal plane 7.5 m (25 ft); green light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 6 m (20 ft) octagonal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern and gallery are green. Bash's photo is at right, Anderson has photos, Trabas has Boucher's photo, Drew Hosick has a street view across the harbor entrance, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse is directly across the St. Lawrence from the Ogdensburg (New York) Lighthouse. Located at the end of the main breakwater sheltering Prescott Harbour (now called the Sandra S. Lawn Harbour), at the end of Water Street one block off ON 2 in downtown Prescott. Accessible by walking the breakwater. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-767; Admiralty H2727; USCG 7-0975; CCG 0312.5.

Prescott Heritage Harbor Light, Prescott, July 2004
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C. W. Bash
*** Prescott (Prescott Rotary)
1989. Active (privately maintained and unofficial); light characteristic not known. 12 m (40 ft) octagonal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. Bash has a closeup photo, Naru Kenji has another closeup, Lighthouse Digest has photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. A Fresnel lens, probably 3rd order, is mounted in the lantern. The lantern was originally mounted atop the Dominion Lighthouse Depot in Prescott and was used in training lightkeepers. After the Depot building was demolished in 1986, the lighthouse was built by the local Rotary Club to house the historic lens and as a memorial to a former member. The tower contains an ice cream shop and gift shop. Located one block off ON 2 in downtown Prescott. Site open; tower open daily in the summer. Owner: Town of Prescott. Site manager: Prescott Rotary Club.
McCoy Island South 143
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); green flash every 4 s. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical tower standing on a square 1-story concrete equipment shelter. Lighthouse painted white with a green band at the top. Trabas has Boucher's photo, and Google has a satellite view. This light helps guide vessels through the Brockville Narrows, a region of the river strewn with numerous small islands. Located between McCoy and Cockburn Islands south of Brockville. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty H2748; USCG 7-1075; CCG 0326.
McDonald Point Shoal 144
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9.5 m (31 ft); quick-flashing red light. 9.5 m (31 ft) round cylindrical tower standing on a square 1-story concrete equipment shelter. Lighthouse painted white with a red band at the top. Trabas has Boucher's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located just off McDonald Point south of Brockville. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty H2749; USCG 7-1085; CCG 0328.

Prescott Rotary Light, Prescott, July 2004
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C. W. Bash
[De Watteville Island Range Front (2)]
1960 (station established 1927). Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); continuous white light visible only on the range line. 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted white and carrying a triangular daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's photo, Lighthouse Digest has a Coast Guard aerial photo, and Google has a satellite view. This is a downstream range, guiding eastbound vessels on a long reach. Located on the southern tip of De Watteville Island southwest of Brockville. ARLHS CAN-1160; Admiralty H2754; USCG 7-1110; CCG 0333.
De Watteville Island Range Rear
1927. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); continuous white light visible only on the range line. 14 m (45 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and enclosed wood watchroom. Tower and lantern painted red; watch room painted white. The lighthouse also carries an orange inverted triangular daymark with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has Boucher's closeup photo (also seen at right), Lighthouse Digest has a Coast Guard photo, and Google has a satellite view. This light is a rare survivor of its type. Located on a promontory off Hillcrest Road about 5 km (3 mi) southwest of Brockville. Site presumably closed (private vacation homes in the area). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1170; Admiralty H2754.1; USCG 7-1115; CCG 0334.
* Cole Shoal Range Rear
1916. Inactive since 1927. Approx. 8 m (26 ft) octagonal wood tower, painted white; the lantern has been replaced by an octagonal wood observation room. Google has a street view and a satellite view. The range guided downbound (eastbound) vessels; it was replaced in 1927 by the De Watteville Island Range. Located in a sharp bend of Fulford Point Road, just off King's Highway (ON 2) at Woodridge, about 7 km (4.5 mi) southwest of Brockville. Site and tower closed, but the light is close to the public street. Owner/site manager: private.
#Cole Shoal (Range Front)
1856. Inactive since 1927; destroyed in 2018. This was a 10 m (31 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with gallery, painted white. Lantern removed. Google has a satellite view. This was the only survivor of nine small lighthouses built in the Thousand Islands in 1856. The light served from 1916 to 1927 as the front light of the Cole Shoal Range, but it was deactivated in 1927 when the De Watteville range lights were placed in service. In 2002 the Ontario Heritage Foundation (now the Ontario Heritage Trust) spent $15,600 to restore the abandoned tower. It was destroyed by fire set by lightning on 23 July 2018. A committee quickly formed to rebuild it. The Trust declined to do so but is willing to lease or transfer the site. A campaign to riase $150,000 is planned for 2019. Located on a rock in the river 8 km (5 mi) southwest of Brockville, off the end of Hudson Point Road. Accessible only by boat. Site open. Owner/site manager: Ontario Heritage Trust.

De Watteville Island Range Rear Light, Brockville
photo copyright Micahel Boucher; used by permission
Note: The next six lights guides vessels in the Canadian Middle Channel, a passage along the north side of the Thousand Islands. Now used primarily by pleasure craft, this channel is not part of the St. Lawrence Seaway; the Seaway follows the passage on the south side of the Thousand Islands.
[Grenadier Island (3?)]
Date unknown (station established 1856). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every 4 s. 6 m (20 ft) mast. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The mast appears to be located within the foundation ruins of the original light station. Grenadier Island is a long island downstream from the Thousand Islands. Located at the southern tip of the island. Site status unknown. ARLHS CAN-818; Admiralty H2840; CCG 0361.
[Lyndoch (Lynedoch, Lindoc) Island (3?)]
Date unknown (station established 1856). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); green flash every 4 s. 6 m (20 ft) mast painted white with a green top. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view. The mast appears to be located within the foundation ruins of the original light station. Located on a small island off the south coast of Ash Island, west of Rockport. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS CAN-1074; Admiralty H2845; CCG 0363.
[Prince Regent Island (Gananoque Narrows) (3?)]
Date unknown (station established 1856). Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); green flash every 4 s. 8.5 m (28 ft) round cylindrical tower painted white with a green band at the top. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The Gananoque Narrows is a passage between Stave Island and Prince Regent Island east of Gananoque. The original lighthouse was a square wood tower. Located at the northeastern tip of Prince Regent Island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1065; Admiralty H2847; CCG 365.
[Jackstraw Shoal (2?)]
Date unknown (station established 1856). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); red flash every 4 s. 7.5 m (25 ft) round metal tower painted white with a red band at the top. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a shoal about 3 km (1.8 mi) east of the Ganaoque waterfront. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1069; Admiralty H2848; CCG 0366.
* Gananoque Harbour (2)
2012 (station establishment date unknown). Active (maintained by the town); focal plane 7 m (23 ft); red flash every 4 s. 5 m (17 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern painted white with red trim. Gordon Wolford has a photo, a second photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. A photo of the original light, a cylindrical metal tower, is available. Located in Joel Stone Park at the entrance to the Gananoque Municipal Marina in Gananoque. Owner/operator: Town of Gananoque. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty H2848.5; CCG 0367.
[Spectacle (Spectacles) Shoal (3?)]
Date unknown (station established 1856). Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); red flash every 4 s. 6 m (20 ft) round tower painted white with a red band at the top, mounted on a pentagonal concrete pier. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was replaced by a skeletal tower. Located on a shoal about 4 km (2.5 mi) southwest of Gananoque. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-828; Admiralty H2850; CCG 0368.

Kingston City Lighthouse
* Kingston City Hall
1844. Inactive since at least 1912. The light was on the tower of Kingston's historic City Hall, designed by George Browne and completed in 1844. A 2017 photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on Ontario Street in downtown Kingston. Site open; tours of the building are available Monday through Friday, mid May through mid October. Owner/site manager: City of Kingston. ARLHS CAN-1070.

Lennox and Addington County Lighthouse
Brother Islands (Centre Brother Island) (3)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 27 m (89 ft); green flash every 4 s. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) triangular cylindrical skeletal tower carrying a rectangular white daymark. Marcel Scouten has a photo. CCG continues to describe the previous tower, a 17 m (56 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, painted white and carrying a triangular white daymark. Bing's indistinct satellite view shows that light. The original light was a pepperpot-style square tower. Located on an island in the passage between Kingston and Amherst Island, southwest of the Kingston airport. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS CAN-1056; CCG 430.

Frontenac County (Thousand Islands) Lighthouses
Note: The Thousand Islands stretch downstream for about 80 km (50 mi) in the outflow of the St. Lawrence River from Lake Ontario. Some of the islands are in Ontario, and others are in the U.S. state of New York. By semi-official count, there are 1864 islands of all sizes; among the larger ones are Simcoe, Wolfe, and Howe Islands in Ontario and Carleton, Grindstone, and Wellesley Islands in New York.
Wolfe Island (Québec Head, Hemlock Point) (2)
1910 (station established 1861). Active; focal plane 11 m (37 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 6.5 m (21 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with gallery, painted white. Lantern removed. Trabas has Boucher's closeup photo, Lighthouse Digest has a Coast Guard photo, and Google has a satellite view. The private home near the lighthouse is a replica of the Thomas Point Shoal lighthouse in Maryland. Mary Alice Snetsinger has an article on the history of the two Wolfe Island light stations, with several historic photos. Located on Québec Head, the northeastern point of Wolfe Island, largest of the Thousand Islands. The lighthouse can be seen only from the water, as there is no public access to the site. Site and tower closed. Island accessible by ferry from Kingston and (in the summer) from Cape Vincent NY. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-638; Admiralty H2818; USCG 7-1605; CCG 0378.
Irvine Point Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23.5 m (77 ft); continuous red light. Approx. 18 m (59 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a triangular daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view and a very distant street view. This range guides vessels downstream on a reach north of Cape Vincent, New York. Located in a pasture on Wolfe Island opposite Carleton Island. Site and tower closed (private property) but the light can be seen from county road 96. Admiralty H2824.1; USCG 7-1635; CCG 0381.
Bayfield Island Sector
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); continuous or alternating light, white, red or green depending on direction. 11.5 m (38 ft) square skeletal tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This light guides vessels upstream in a tight channel north of Carleton Island; white light is hown over the channel and alternating white/red or white/green lights are shown along the edges of the channel. Located on a small island off the south coast of Wolfe Island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty H2826; USCG 7-1680; CCG 0384.
Knapp Point (Brown's Point)
Date unknown (station established 1874). Inactive since 2000. 6 m (20 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern and gallery painted red. Lighthouse Digest has a Coast Guard photo (also seen at the top of this page), but trees hide the lighthouse in Google's satellite view. Mary Alice Snetsinger has an article on the history of the two Wolfe Island light stations, with several historic photos. Located on the point, on the north side of Wolfe Island east of Marysville. Apparently accessible only by boat (surrounded by private property). Site and tower closed. Owner: unknown. Site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-1034.
Nine Mile Point (Simcoe Island)
1833. Active; focal plane 16 m (53 ft); white flash every 10 s. 12.5 m (41 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery attached to a 1-story fog signal building. Lighthouse painted white with northern channel of the St. Lawrence River from Lake Ontario. Christopher Howitt's photo is at right, Lighthouse Digest has Michel Forand's photo, Penberthy also has a page on the light, and Google has a satellite view of the station. The Nine Mile Point Lighthouse Preservation Society has worked for preservation of the light station and applied to take ownership. In 2019 their application was rejected in favor of a new organization, the Simcoe Island Lighthouse Association. The surrounding land, including the keeper's house, is privately owned. Located at the southwestern point of Simcoe Island just off the island's single gravel road. The island is accessible during the summer by ferry from Wolfe Island. Site and tower closed (private property) but the lighthouse can be seen from the gate and polite visitors are sometimes admitted. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-578; Admiralty H2864; USCG 7-2565; CCG 419.
Pigeon Island (2)
1909 (station established 1871). Active; focal plane 20 m (65 ft); white flash every 4 s. 15 m (50 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with central cylinder, lantern, and gallery. Skeletal woodwork painted white; lantern, watch room, gallery, and central cylinder painted red. All other light station buildings demolished. Robert English has a closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This is the only Canadian example of a skeletal lighthouse design common in the U.S. The island is a provincial wildlife reserve. Located on a small island in the northeast corner of Lake Ontario, about 4 km (2.5 mi) west southwest of Bear Point, Wolfe Island. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-785; Admiralty H2890; USCG 7-2570; CCG 421.
Nine Mile Point Light
Nine Mile Point Light, Simcoe Island, September 2009
Flickr photo copyright Christopher Howitt; used by permission

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Western Québec | East: Western New York | Southeast: Southern Ontario

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted December 16, 2003. Checked and revised July 29, 2018. Lighthouses: 37. Site copyright 2018 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.