Lighthouses of St. Pierre and Miquelon
The French territory of St.
Pierre and Miquelon consists of a small group of islands in the entrance to Fortune Bay off the south
coast of Newfoundland. Settled in 1604, the islands are the only remaining
portion of France's former empire in North America. Despite its small
size, the territory has six lighthouses, five active. The islands
are accessible by air or by passenger ferry from Fortune, Newfoundland.
Special thanks to André Lafargue for providing
information on the history of these lighthouses, as well as
The lighthouses of the islands are operated by the public works
agency, the Direction des Territoires, de l'Alimentation et de la Mer (DTAM).
The French word for a lighthouse, phare,
is often reserved for the larger coastal lighthouses; a smaller light
or harbor light is called a feu (literally "fire," but
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of
Lights. CCG numbers are from the Newfoundland volume of the List
of Lights, Buoys, and Fog Signals of Fisheries and Oceans
Canada. Admiralty numbers are
from Volume H of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals.
U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110.
- General Sources
Lighthouses of St.-Pierre and Miquelon
- Photos contributed by André Lafargue.
- World of Lighthouses - St. Pierre and Miquelon
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
- Online List of Lights - Saint Pierre and Miquelon
- Coming soon: photos various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Kanadas auf historischen Postkarten
- Historic postcard views of Canadian lighthouses posted by Klaus Huelse.
Lighthouses of St. Pierre and Miquelon are at the bottom of the page.
- List of Lights, Buoys, and Fog Signals
- Official Canadian light lists; lights of the French territory are included in the Newfoundland volume.
- Navigation chart information for this area.
Pointe aux Canons Light, St.-Pierre, July 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Gord McKenna
- Île de Saint-Pierre Lighthouses
- Note: The Île de Saint-Pierre is the smaller of the two main islands of the territory, but it is the more densely populated, including the principal town of Saint-Pierre.
- Rocher Petit Saint-Pierre
- 1924. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); flash every 2 s,
red or white depending on direction. 12 m (39 ft) round solid masonry tower, painted white
with a horizontal red band; the small lantern is also red. André
Lafargue has contributed a photo,
and Google has a satellite
view. The tower formerly carried a conventional lantern room.
Located on a tiny waveswept rock off the northern entrance to the harbor of
Saint-Pierre. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Site
manager: government of St.-Pierre et Miquelon. ARLHS SPM-007; CCG
087; Admiralty H0338; NGA 2172.
- * Île aux Marins (Île
- 1874. Inactive. Approx. 14 m (47 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower
with lantern and gallery, painted red. André Lafargue has contributed
a photo, Jeremy Michiels has a 2017 photo, and Google has a street view, a satellite
view, and a distant sea view. Inhabited until the 1950s, the island is now a historic
site. Its name was changed from Île aux Chiens (Dog Island)
to Île aux Marins (Sailors Island) in 1931. Located at the southwestern
tip of the island, which shelters the harbor of Saint-Pierre. Accessible
only by boat. Tours of the island are available in season. Site open,
tower closed. Site manager: government of St.-Pierre et Miquelon.
- * Pointe aux Canons (Saint-Pierre)
- 1862. Inactive. 11
m (35 ft) octagonal stone tower with gallery, painted white with a horizontal
red band. The original lantern has been removed, and the light is mounted
in a small enclosure at the top of a dome-shaped platform atop the tower.
Enclosure, dome and gallery painted red. Gord McKenna's photo is at the
top of this page, a fine September 2006 closeup
shows the lighthouse with a fresh coat of paint, a 2013 photo is available, Lafargue has also contributed
a photo, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a sea view and a satellite
view. The point is named for the 18th century cannons
standing guard nearby. The lighthouse was the front light of a range
from 1887 to the 1960s, but the rear lighthouse (known as the Feu Rouge) has been demolished (see below). The lighthouse was originally painted all white; a black horizontal band was added in the 1930s, and later the color of the band was changed to red. The light lost its navigational value after the outer breakwaters were constructed. Located at the end of a stone pier in the harbor
at Saint-Pierre. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed.
Site manager: government of St.-Pierre et Miquelon. ARLHS SPM-010.
- Rocher Bertrand
- 1926. Inactive for many years, but maintained as a daybeacon. Approx. 8 m (26 ft) round stepped stone or concrete tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands. Lightphotos.net has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a reef in the southern entrance to the harbor of
Saint-Pierre. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed.
- * Galantry
(Tête de Galantry) (2)
- 1978 (station established 1845). Active; focal plane 47 m (154
ft); two white flashes (separated by 2.5 s) every 10 s. 18 m (60
ft) triangular cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery,
painted white; lantern is red. Fog horn (2 blasts every 60 s). 1-1/2
story keeper's house. Gord McKenna's photo is at right, Karl Josker
has a photo,
DTAM has a page on the history of the light station, and Google has a good satellite
view. Known locally as the Nouveau (new) Phare de Galantry.
The original lighthouse was demolished in 1980 because its hilltop
location was thought to be a hazard to airplanes arriving or departing.
Lafargue has contributed a 1978
photo showing the old and new lighthouses, and Huelse has a
view of the original light. Located on the southeastern shore
Saint-Pierre. The station is accessible by road from the town of
Saint-Pierre. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: government
of St.-Pierre et Miquelon. ARLHS SPM-008; CCG 080; Admiralty H0332;
Tête de Galantry Light, St. Pierre, July 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Gord McKenna
- Note: Miquelon-Langlade actually consists of three islands, known as Le Cap, Miquelon, and Langlade, that are joined presently by sandbars. Geographers call such an arrangement a tombolo cluster. Most of the population of about 600 lives in the village of Miquelon, on Le Cap. Langlade, the southernmost island, is uninhabited.
- Pointe Plate (Île Langlade)
- 1881. Active; focal plane 48 m (157 ft); alternating red and white
lights, 1 s on, 3 s off. 43 m (141 ft) square pyramidal skeletal
tower, cast iron encased in concrete, with octagonal central cylinder,
lantern and gallery. Tower painted white; the lantern and watch
room are red. The 1-story keeper's house appears to be in ruins.
This is a remarkable lighthouse, taller than any Canadian light
and comparable to the tallest U.S. skeletal lighthouses. Jean-Luc
Drake has an excellent photo,
a foggy 2009 photo is
available, Christophe Detcheverry has a distant view, and Google has a satellite
The central cylinder was encased in concrete in 1928 and the legs
in 1950 to stop corrosion of the iron structure. Huelse has a historic
view of the light before these modifications were made. Located
at the southwestern tip of Île Langlade, which is connected
to Miquelon by a narrow, sandy isthmus. Accessible only by boat.
Site open, tower closed. Site manager: government of St.-Pierre et
Miquelon. ARLHS SPM-001; CCG 090; Admiralty H0330; NGA 2208.
- * Cap Blanc (Miquelon)
- 1883. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); three flashes every 15
s, alternating red and white. 19 m (62 ft) round cylindrical cast
iron tower, encased in concrete, with six small buttresses at the
base, lantern, and gallery. Tower is unpainted white concrete; lantern
and gallery rail are painted red. Fresnel lens in use. 1-story keeper's
house. André Lafargue's photo is at right, Jean-Luc Drake
has an excellent 2008 closeup,
Henry Masson has a 2009 photo, Philippe Richard has a good photo, there is a postage
stamp showing the light station, Huelse also has a historic postcard
view (ca. 1926), and Google has a satellite
view. Located on a headland on Le Cap, the northwestern tip of Miquelon.
Accessible by road from the town of Miquelon. Site open, tower
closed. Site manager: government of St.-Pierre et Miquelon.
ARLHS SPM-002; CCG 093; Admiralty H0328; NGA 2212.
Cap Blanc Light, Miquelon, 2004
photo copyright André Lafargue; used by permission
Information available on lost lighthouses:
- Feu Rouge (St. Pierre Range Rear) (1887-1971; station established 1862), St.-Pierre. This was an approx. 15 m (49 ft) square wood tower with lantern and gallery; it stood in the center of town and carried the rear light of a range with the Pointe aux Canons lighthouse as the front light. A painting is available, Huelse has a postcard view, the lighthouse is centered in a panoramic view posted by Lightphotos.net, and the lighthouse appeared on a postage stamp in 1992. The lighthouse was demolished in 1971.
Notable faux lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: North: Central and Western Newfoundland | East: Southeastern
Return to the Lighthouse Directory
Posted November 26, 2002. Checked and revised July 14, 2017.
Lighthouses: 6. Site copyright 2017 Russ Rowlett and the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill.