Lighthouses of Southwestern Turkey

Most of the modern nation of Turkey occupies the broad peninsula of Anatolia (Asia Minor) between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea. At its western end, Anatolia faces Greece across the Aegean Sea. This page includes Anatolian Turkey's lighthouses on the Aegean coast in the provinces of Muğla, Aydın, and İzmir. This coast includes many popular resorts and is known as the Turquoise Coast or as the Turkish Riviera.

The Turkish phrase for a lighthouse is fener (plural fenerler) or deniz feneri ("sea lantern"). Burnu is a cape or headland, ada or adası is an island, and limani is a harbor. Lighthouses in Turkey are operated by the Directorate General of Coastal Safety (Kıyı Emniyeti Genel Müdürlüğü).

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume N of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Online List of Lights - Turkey
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Deniz Fenerleri
Photos of 22 lighthouses by Haluk Özözlü.
Leuchtfeuer an der türkischen Mittelmeerküste
Photos of 17 Mediterranean coast lighthouses posted by Bernd Claußen.
Lighthouses in Turkey
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Turkey
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Turkey South Lighthouses R Us
This site by C.W. Bash preserves a series of small photos formerly posted on the Directorate General's web site.
Europäische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse (Asiatic Turkey is included on this page of European lighthouses).
Kısılada Light
Kısılada Light, Fethiye, September 2007
Panoramio photo copyright 1950armen; permission requested

Muğla Province Lighthouses

Fethiye District Lighthouses
Note: Fethiye is a resort city and seaport with a population of about 150,000.
** Kısılada (Kısıl Adalar)
1910. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white flash every 5 s. 13 m (43 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white, house painted white with a red tile roof. The lighthouse is floodlit at night. A photo is above, Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. In 2008 the Kısılada Tourism Corporation leased the light station, restored the buildings, and opened them to tourists. A restaurant is open in part of the station. The Kısıl Adalar are a small group of islands in the Gulf of Fethiye. Located at the southern point of the largest island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS TUR-037; Admiralty N5841; NGA 20536.
Pacariz Burnu
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); green flash every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted white with a green band at the top. Nikolay Maximovich's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located on a promontory on the west side of the entrance to the inner Gulf of Fethiye; this site is on the ground of a resort hotel. Site open to guests of the resort, tower closed. Site manager: Letoonia Resort. Admiralty N5843.5; NGA 20538.
Fethiye Adası (Megri Adası) South Point
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); red flash every 3 s. 6 m (20 ft) mast atop a 1-story equipment building. Building painted white, mast white with a red top. Claußen has a photo (last photo on the page), Trabas has a view from the sea, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the south point of an island in the Gulf of Fethiye, opposite the Pacariz Burnu Light. Site status unknown. Admiralty N5842; NGA 20540.
Peksimet Adası (2)
Date unknown (station established 1953). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft) (?); white flash every 10 s. Approx. 15 m (49 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, painted white. This tower replaced an 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower; both towers are shown by Claußen's photo. Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a tiny island about 3 km (1.8 mi) offshore at the western entrance to the Gulf of Fethiye. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS TUR-009; Admiralty N5839.5; NGA 20532.
Pacariz Burnu Light
Pacariz Burnu Light, Fethiye, June 2012
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Nikolay Maximovich

Dalaman District Lighthouse
Baba Adası (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 58 m (190 ft); two white flashes every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) round hourglass-shaped white fiberglass tower. Ruined structures nearby must be a former light station. Trabas has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on an island close offshore about 15 km (9 mi) southwest of Dalaman. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty N5839.45; NGA 20520.

Marmaris District Lighthouses
Yildiz Adası
Date unknown (recent). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white flash every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) round hourglass-shaped white fiberglass tower. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. The northern end of the Gulf of Marmaris is nearly closed off by the island of Keçi Adası (Goat Island) and the Adaköy peninsula. Located on the northwestern tip of the peninsula. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty N5838.2; NGA 20501.
Keçi Adası (Adassi Point, Keç Adası, Marmari) (2)
Around 2006 (station established 1886). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); red flash every 2 s. 14 m (46 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white, adjacent to the original (?) 1-story masonry keeper's house. House painted white with a red tile roof. A steel post mounted at the seaward end of the keeper's house carried the light in Claußen's 2003 photo. Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks the west side of the narrow strait between Keçi Adası and the Adaköy peninsula. Located on an islet off the southeastern tip of Keçi Adası. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty N5838; NGA 20500.
Kadırga Burnu (Cape Marmarice) (1)
1886. Inactive at least since 2007. 12 m (39 ft) steel post light mounted at the seaward end of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. House painted white with a red tile roof. Google has a satellite view. Kadırga Burnu is the cape at the western entrance to the Gulf of Marmaris. Located at the tip of the cape, a very remote location; may be accessible only by boat. Site status unknown.
Kadırga Burnu (Cape Marmarice) (2)
Around 2007 (station established 1886). Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. Approx. 15 m (49 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. Located behind the historic lighthouse. Site status unknown. Admiralty N5836; NGA 20496.

Datça District Lighthouses
Note: The Datça Peninsula is a 100 km (60 mi) long snake-like ridge that extends like a finger into the Aegean Sea north of the Greek island of Rhodes.
Datça İnce Burun (İnceburun)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cykindrical white concrete tower. The light is at the right edge of a 2017 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Note: İnce Burun ("sharp cape") is a common place name on the Turkish coast, and there are several lighthouses with this name. Located at the end of a long gravel bar on the south side of the peninsula. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS TUR-066; Admiralty N4732.5; NGA 20456.
* Deveboynu Burnu
1931. Active; focal plane 104 m (341 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white. Tayfun Sen's closeup photo is at right, Oytun Güventürk has a 2018 closeup, Ercan Jay Aksoy has a photo from below the lighthouse, Wikimedia has a distant view, and a Google satellite view is available. Deveboynu Burnu (Camels' Neck Point) is the extreme southwestern corner of Anatolia, located at the tip of the long and narrow Datça peninsula. The lighthouse is at the tip of the peninsula. Accessible by a hike of about 1 km (0.6 mi) from the end of the road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS TUR-019; Admiralty N4732; NGA 20452.
Deveboynu Light
Devboynu Burnu Light, Datça, April 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Tayfun Sen

Bodrum District Lighthouses
Note: Bodrum, the modern city on the site of the ancient Greek city of Helikarnassus, is now a very popular tourist resort, and its historic harbor is usually crowded with yachts.
* Bodrum East Breakwater (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); green flash every 5 s. 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical white concrete tower. Claußen has a photo, Trabas has a closeup by Günther Hess, Martijn Baudoin has a street view, and Google has a satellite view. NGA formerly listed a skeletal tower at this location. Located at the end of the east breakwater of Bodrum. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4730.4; NGA 20220.
* Bodrum (West Breakwater)
1880. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); red flash every 5 s. 7 m (23 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red, keeper's house white with a red tile roof. Tanya Dedyukhina's photo is at right, Claußen has a photo, Trabas has a closeup by Günther Hess, Özözlü has a panoramic view (last thumbnail in sixth row), İçini Görün has a street view, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse is located at the end of the short west breakwater. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS TUR-015; Admiralty N4730; NGA 20216.
* Hüseyin Burnu (Fener Burnu) (2?)
Date uncertain (station established 1864). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 9 m (30 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white. Trabas has Erich Hartmann's photo, Bora Vinchenso Augurio Bodurhas a 2017 closeup photo, Jonas Vandevelde has a street view, and Google has a satellite view. The Coastal Safety Directorate lists 1964 as the date of this lighthouse, but its design resembles 1930s era light stations such as Deveboynu (see above). This lighthouse marks the Kos Channel, a 5 km (3 mi) wide passage between the Turkish mainland and the Greek island of Kos. Located on the cape on the west side of Gokdiken and about 4 km (2.5 mi) south of Turgutreis. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS TUR-026; Admiralty N4712; NGA 20208.
* Turgutreis East Breakwater
Date unknown (recent). Active (?) (privately maintained?); characteristics unknown. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) hexagonal tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted gray with two narrow green horizontal bands and third green band under the gallery. Google has a street view and a satellite view. These lighthouses were built as part of a marina development project at Turgutreis, a tourist town named for the 15th century Ottoman admiral Turgut Reis. Located at the end of the east breakwater at Turgutreis, probably accessible by walking the breakwater. Site open, tower closed. Not listed by the Admiralty.

Bodrum Light, Bodrum, September 2013
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Tanya Dedyukhina
* Turgutreis West Breakwater
Date unknown (recent). Active (?) (privately maintained?); characteristics unknown. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) hexagonal tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted gray with two narrow red horizontal bands and third red band under the gallery. Joe Lopez has a photo, James Sherrett also has a photo, and Google has a sea view and a satellite view. Located at the end of the main (west) breakwater at Turgutreis, probably accessible by walking the breakwater. Site open, tower closed. Not listed by the Admiralty.
Büyük Kiremit (Büyükkiremit) Adası
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 89 m (292 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 6 m (20 ft) white concrete tower. 1-story keeper's house. The light station is barely visible in a view of the island, but Bing has a distant satellite view. Located on the highest point of an island off the west end of the Bodrum Peninsula. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty N4708.5; NGA 20176.
Bağarası Kara Ada (Fener Adası)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every 5 s. 6 m (20 ft) white concrete tower. A distant view from the sea is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on an island off the northernmost tip of the Bodrum Peninsula, about 3 km (2 mi) northwest of Bağarası. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4665.2; NGA 20172.

Milas District Lighthouses
* Güllük
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); two white flashes every 5 s. 9 m (30 ft) round barbell-shaped metal tower. Lighthouse painted white with two narrow green bands. A neighboring house may be a former keeper's house. Trabas has Erich Hartmann's closeup photo, Nesibe Aktaş has a 2017 photo, Dünyalı Bisiklet Gezgin has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a promontory at Güllük, a popular resort village. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4665.4; NGA 20164.
İncegöl Burnu
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white flash every 3 s. 9 m (29 ft) white concrete tower. No photo available, but Google has a distant satellite view. Located at the tip of a peninsula about 15 km (9 mi) west of Güllük. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4665.6; NGA 20168.

Aydın Province Lighthouses

Didim District Lighthouses
Altın (Akbuk-Panayir) Adası
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round hourglass-shaped concrete (?) tower. No photo available, but Google has a distant satellite view. Located on an island about 3 km (2 mi) southeast of Didim. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty N4665.7; NGA 20162.
Tekağaç Burnu
1954. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white flash every 15 s. 12 m (39 ft) round hourglass-shaped concrete (?) tower. Entire lighthouse is white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on a promontory on the Gulf of Mandalya about 6 km (3.5 mi) southwest of Yenihisar. Site status unknown. ARLHS TUR-051; Admiralty N4665.8; NGA 20160.

Kuşadası District Lighthouses
Bayrak Adası (1)
Date unknown (station established 1864). Inactive. 7 m (23 ft) round concrete tower with four ribs and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lantern removed. Fazlı Memiş has a distant view from the sea, and Bing has a satellite view. NGA misspells the name as "Baytak Adasi." Located on Bayrak Adası (Flag Island), a small island in the narrow channel between the Turkish mainland and the Greek island of Samos. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown.
Bayrak Adası (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 5 s. 7 m (23 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. Fazlı Memiş has a distant view from the sea. Located beside the historic lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty N4665; NGA 20016.
* Kuşadası (Güvercin Adası, Scala Nova) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1864). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery and four ribs. Entire lighthouse is white. 1-story masonry keeper's house, painted white with a red tile roof. Julian Vallejo Blázquez's photo is at right, Trabas has a sunset photo, Wikimedia has a closeup photo, another closeup is available, the lighthouse is at the right in a sunset photo of the island, and Google has a satellite view. Kuşadası ("Bird Island") is a resort town and cruise ship port on the Turkish mainland northwest of the Greek island of Samos. The ruins of ancient Ephesus are nearby. The town got its name from the island on which the lighthouse is located, since the island is shaped like a bird's head. Located at the northwest point of the island, which is connected to the mainland by a causeway. Site apparently open, tower closed. ARLHS TUR-041; Admiralty N4664; NGA 20004.
Kuşadası Yacht Harbor East Breakwater
Date unknown. Active (privately maintained?); focal plane 8 m (26 ft); green flash every 5 s. 6 m (20 ft) round concrete tower, painted white with two narrow green horizontal bands. Trabas has Rainer Arndt's photo, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. Located on the inner breakwater of the small boat harbor at Kuşadası. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4664.3; NGA 20012.
Kuşadası Yacht Harbor West Breakwater
Date unknown. Active (privately maintained?); focal plane 12 m (39 ft); red flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round concrete tower, painted white with two narrow red horizontal bands. Trabas has Rainer Arndt's photo, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. The lighthouse was formerly painted with the upper half of the lighthouse red and the lower half with black and white vertical stripes; Jackie Kever has a 2006 photo showing that pattern. Located on the main breakwater of the small boat harbor at Kuşadası. Accessible only by boat (the breakwater is not walkable). Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4664.4; NGA 20008.

Kuşadası Light, Kuşadası, May 2007
photo copyright Julian Vallejo Blázquez
used by permission

İzmir (Smyrna) Province Lighthouses

Urla District Lighthouse
Teke Burnu
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, painted white, standing next to a small concrete equipment shelter. No photo available, and Google has only an indistinct satellite view. Located on a promontory on the south side of the Karaburan Peninsula. Site status unknown. Admiralty N4661; NGA 19996.

Çeşme District Lighthouses
Bozalan Burnu
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); two white flashes every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, painted white, standing next to a small concrete equipment shelter. No photo available, but Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a promontory on the east side of the entrance to the bay of Alaçatı. Site status unknown. Admiralty N4659; NGA 19988.
Sügünkaya (Fener Adası, Pasha Islet) (1)
1863(?). Inactive. 8 m (26 ft) square masonry tower attached to a 1-story masonry keeper's house. The keeper's house is unroofed and in ruins. Entire lighthouse painted white. The tower appears to have been covered with concrete or stucco. The active light (focal plane 43 m (141 ft); red flash every 5 s) is on a 9 m (30 ft) square skeletal tower. Trabas has Capt. Peter Mosselberger's photo, Warren Pollock has a view from the sea, and Google has a satellite view. Located on an island in the narrowest passage of the strait between the Turkish mainland and the Greek island of Chios, about 8 km (5 mi) southwest of Çeşme. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty N4658; NGA 19984.
Kaloyeri
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white flash every 5 s. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery mounted on a square stone pier. The tower is supposed to be painted yellow with a black band at the top. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a reef off the entrance to Çeşme. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4656; NGA 19980.
* Çeşme Körfezi (Fener Burnu)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 20 m (66 ft); white flash every 3 s. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower painted white with a narrow black horizontal band. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. NGA's listing has a focal plane of 10 m and a tower height of 4 m; this may refer to a second light or an older light at the tip of the point. Located on a promontory sheltering the west side of Çeşme harbor. Site appears open, tower closed. Admiralty N4657; NGA 19976.

Karaburun District Lighthouses
* Sarpıncık Karaburun (Kara Burnu) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1938). Active; focal plane 97 m (318 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 13 m (46 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery and four large ribs. Entire lighthouse is white. 1-story masonry keeper's house, painted white with a red tile roof. Levent Duranli's photo is at right, Ali İhsan Eren has a 2017 photo, a 2018 closeup is available, and Google has a satellite view. Very similar to Sivrice Feneri (see the Northwestern Anatolia page). This Karaburun (Black Cape) is the tip of the peninsula projecting into the Aegean northeast of the Greek island of Chios. Located on a steep bluff at the end of the peninsula, 4 km (2.5 mi) west of Sarpıncık. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4630; NGA 19896.
* Mordoğan East Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); continuous red light. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical white concrete tower. Engin Almali has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the main breakwater of Mordoğan, a fishing port on the east side of the Karaburun Peninsula. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4621.45; NGA 19837.3.
* Mordoğan West Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); continuous green light. 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical white concrete tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the west (inner) breakwater of Mordoğan. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4621.4; NGA 19837.2.
Karaburun Light
Karaburun Light, Karaburun, September 2006
Panoramio photo copyright Levent Duranli; permission requested

İzmir City Lighthouses
Note: The city of İzmir is built in a semicircle around the narrow head of the Gulf of İzmir. The easiest and most pleasant way to travel from one side of the city to the other is by ferry across the bay.
* Guzelbahçe (Güzelbaçe)
1992. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped metal or fiberglass tower, painted white with two narrow black horizontal bands. Gökçe Mutlu has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater mole of Güzelbaçe, a town on the south side of the Gulf of İzmir about 25 km (15 mi) west of downtown İzmir. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4622.7; NGA 19871.
* Üçkuyular Pier
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); two red flashes every 5 s. Light mounted on a pierhead building. Google has a satellite view of the building, but the light is not seen in Arslan Karadakovan's 2016 photo. Located on the Üçkuyular ferry pier on the south side of the Gulf of İzmir. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4625.6; NGA 19874.1.
* Konak Pier
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); two yellow flashes every 5 s. Light mounted on a pierhead building. Trabas has a photo, Google has a satellite view of the building, and the light is probably at the far right in César Villarreal's photo. The first floor of the building is a café. Located on the Konak pier on the south side of the Gulf of İzmir. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4627.3; NGA 19875.
* Karşıyaka Pier
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); two yellow flashes every 5 s. Light mounted on the Karşıyaka Ferry Terminal on the İzmir waterfront. Trabas has a photo, César Villarreal has a photo, and Google has a satellite view of the building. Located on the Karşıyaka pier on the north side of the Gulf of İzmir. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4628.58; NGA 19893.
* Aksoy East Pier (Bostanlı)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); two red flashes every 5 s. Light mounted on the Bostanlı Ferry Terminal on the İzmir waterfront. The light is probably perched atop the building in Kubilay Yıldız's photo, and Google has a satellite view of the building. Located on the Bostanlı pier on the north side of the Gulf of İzmir. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4628.57; NGA 19894.1.

Foça District Lighthouses
Değirmen Burnu (Foça) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1887). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every 5 s. 9 m (30 ft) round hourglass-shaped metal or fiberglass tower, painted white with a narrow black horizontal band. A 1-story masonry keeper's house, painted white with a red tile roof, appears to be occupied by an attendent. A photo is at right, Trabas has Erich Hartmann's photo, Christian Bosman has a 2017 closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. The modern city of Foça is built near the ruins of the ancient Greek city of Phocaea. Located at the tip of a peninsula sheltering the west side of the harbor of Foça. ARLHS TUR-006; Admiralty N4620; NGA 19844.
Oğlak Adası (2)
Date unknown (station established 1887). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 5 s. 6 m (20 ft) round concrete tower. Entire lighthouse is white. LighthousesRUs.org has a small Directorate General photo ("TR39" near the bottom of the page), and the current light and the ruins of the historic lighthouse can be seen in Google's satellite view. It seems likely that at least some of the former stone light tower survives; we need more information on this site. Located at the western end of a small island at the northern entrance to the bay of Foça. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty N4618; NGA 19840.
Aslan Burnu
1992. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 8 m (26 ft) round hourglass-shaped metal or fiberglass tower, painted white. Trabas has Erich Hartmann's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a prominent cape on the east side of the entrance to the Gulf of İzmir, about 7 km (4.5 mi) north of Foça. Site status unknown. Admiralty N4617.9; NGA 19838.
Degirmen Burnu
Değirmen Burnu Light, Foça
Turkish Coastal Safety Directorate photo

Aliağa District Lighthouse
Ilıca Burnu (Aliağa) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1984). Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); white flash every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical metal or fiberglass tower, painted white. LighthousesRUs.org has a small Directorate General photo ("TR41" near the bottom of the page), and Google has a satellite view. NGA lists a framework tower at this station. Located on a prominent cape about 9 km (5.5 mi) northwest of Aliağa. Site status unknown. Admiralty N4616.3; NGA 19822.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Northwestern Turkey | Southeast: Southern Turkey | West: Greece Aegean Islands

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted May 5, 2007. Checked and revised May 2, 2018. Lighthouses: 43. Site copyright 2018 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.