Re: [nafex] Apple Grinder

Don Yellman wrote:

> The apples go through there like greased
> lightning,

We tried the garbage disposal method several years ago.  It was faster than
by hand but they did not go through like "greased lightening".  Thinking
back on the experiment, it was a garbage disposal that somebody had
replaced....so likely there was something wrong with it.....most people do
not replace garbage disposals for cosmetic reasons 8-)

> and the pomace is smooth and eminently pressable.
> Apples do have to be cut at least in half to fit the throat of the
> disposal, but I find that the speed of grinding and improved juice yield
> more than compensates for this inconvenience.
> The disposal is quite an inexpensive system to build, and you can grind
> 20 bu./day with no problem.

Yup!  We mounted the disposal to a piece of plywood and flopped the thing
onto a large (40 gallon, 150l) Rubbermaid trash container.  It was cheap.  I
just want to caution that one can be TOO cheap, and unknowingly use a
semi-working disposal.  It was not the first time I out-cheaped myself and
it certainly won't be the last.

Best regards from Eaton Rapids, Michigan.     -Joe Hecksel

(Sidebar note:  It has been a terrible year for scab.  Of the antiques,
Jefferis and Hubbardston Nonesuch look very good.  The Liberty and PRI stuff
looks great.  Almost everything else looks rough.)

SALESFORCE.COM MAKES SOFTWARE OBSOLETE
Secure, online sales force automation with 5 users FREE for 1 year!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2658/0/_/423498/_/961615696/