Re: [nafex] Pawpaw

Kirk:
    I started to set up such an experiment one time when I worked at a
nursery, but the job was short lived (the owner turned out to have the
ethics of a cow pie) so I don't know how it did.
  FWIW, here is a method used at the NCGR to get own-rooted Corylus.  This
involves grafted varieties they want to get growing on their own roots.  The
trees are in pots.  Early in the growing season, a wire twist tie is put
tightly around the scion just above the graft and the girdled area is
painted with rooting hormone.  A black plastic sleeve about 4 -6 inches in
diameter is put over the tree and filled with baked sawdust.  It sits on top
of the soil in the pot.  It is kept that way all season and the trees are
kept in greenhouses or someplace where the temperatures is airly constant,
for better growth.  When the tree is dormant in the fall, the sleeve is
removed and the rooted scion is cut loose and planted.  Often, there is
enough scion left that it can be allowed to re-sprout and the process
repeated, if desired.
I hope your project works out.
-Lon

eGroups members save at beMANY!