Re: [nafex] Girdling Grape Vines

In grapes, the carbohydrates produced by the leaves move down through the
phloem, which is right under the bark and cambium.  Water and nutrients move
up, through the xylem, which makes up most of the wood.  So if you girdle a
grape vine, it can still get water and nutrients up to the vine, keeping it
alive until the girdled area (if not too big) heals over.  Meanwhile, the
carbohydrates have to go somewhere, so they go to the fruit instead of
mostly to the roots, as they would have.  Girdle a vine at bloom time and
SEEDLESS grapes will increase in size and will set more heavily.  Seeded
grapes don't respond as much to girdling.  Girdle within two to three weeks
of ripening and it can speed up ripening.  Girdle the trunk or a cane by
removing a strip 5/16 inch wide down to the wood.  If, after a few minutes,
there is any brown in the girdled area, you missed some phloem and the
girdle won't have any effect - the connection wasn't completely cut.  Go
back and scrape it to the wood.  There are commercial girdling tools -
double bladed knives and "girdling pliers" but I don't know a source.

Personally, I prefer using a special method of thinning that achieves much
the same goal without cutting the vines.  For THAT you have to get my book
when it comes out.

-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, more, at http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

http://click.egroups.com/1/7012/0/_/423498/_/965969630/