[nafex] Black Knot & Mount Royal Plum, and others

I would be most interested to know how Mount Royal compares with
other European plums in the matter of susceptibility to black knot.
I understand that there are some areas (southeastern New Brunswick?)
where European plums are hardly grown because of black knot problems.
It is also a question that affects the ability of casual growers
(typical garden centre patrons) who don't know much about details and
may not be too interested in learning, to grow European plum at all
(supposing they can survive the curculio; this seems to depend a
great deal on local environment).

If Mr. Bunker has the time, I think this topic would make a great
article for the Pomona.

Does anyone know of any existing studies of the susceptibility of
different cultivars to black knot?

My personal knowledge is limited to having seen why Green Gage has
such a bad reputation for black knot, and having seen that Veeblue
(otherwise a great mass market European plum, tremendously productive
and of reliably pleasant although not outstanding quality on sandy
loam in the Niagara Peninsula) is markedly more susceptible even than
Stanley.

Douglas Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Click here for the scoop:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9531/15/_/423498/_/970737943/