[nafex] Re: Non-apple inquiry

Kevin,
    You're making me blush :)

    I'm just a homegrower who overplants in certain areas(When I'm
interested in a topic I tend to obsess).  So I don't have a "business
strategy" with regards to fruit.  Although since I probably will have
too much fruit if it all starts to produce (I've only been in my
current location for 2 years), I'll probably have to find a way to
get rid of it.

    Although the half-highs are smaller and have more bending over to
pick you can plant more bushes in a given area and the flavor is very
good (I think that Northcountry is not as good as the others).

Anyway, thanks for the compliments

BTW, Do you think the Autumn Bliss raspberry would do well in zone 6?

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@egroups.com, fluffy bunny <the.fluffy.bunny@j...> wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
> I've grown Northcountry, Northsky, and Northblue (Here in zone 6 I
> was looking for smaller plants as in was being used in an edible
> landscape by an ornamental pond.) The berries are delicious but
> *very* small (think of the average berry being 2/3 of the small
> berries in a pint of Jersey blue berries).  Although I know that
all
> the flavor of a blueberry is in the skin (and thus the larger the
> berry the less flavor) in a large planting - unless you have a
> specialty market where you can get a higher price - I would think
the
> picking would be very tedious for the return.
>
> My reply:
>
> Hello Chris...
>
> You are correct.   I looked at the original post and note that my
> comments really are more applicable to someone in a bit harsher
climate.
>   I guess I read the comments about the cold concerns and didn't
really
> note the zone indicated.   I am in U.S. zone 4b and do not require
> varieties as cold hardy as I have indicated in most years(but every
now
> and then I am glad I have some ultra tough plants around).
>
> You are right about the size of the berries you listed, although I
did
> not note Northcountry to be as small as the others, and consider
it  more
> of a "medium-sized" .    IMHO Northsky and Northblue  are very
small.
> That is what I was trying to infer with my comments about:
>
> "It is difficult to sell the Northsky and Northland unless you give
out
> taste tests.  They are fairly easy to sell to premium bakeries,
delis,
> and specialty restaurants though."
>
> With the correct marketing I will contend you can get a premium
price for
> these berries.   But in truth varietal decisions should be made in
> accordance with the business strategy, operational strategy, and a
> marketing campaign.   IMHO, far to many people pick varieties
solely on
> the basis of what will grow and not with proper focus on how  to
sell and
> distribute it, or it effect on overall operational concerns(Chris'
> comments raise one, in regard to harvest).  I think Ed Fackler sums
the
> problem up best when he states farmers just like to grow things.
In
> the end we all need to "grow" something; but the other issues are
going
> to create the public perception of what it truly is that we are
growing.
> Ultimately these other issues will determine the amount of residual
> income that we have left, and if we exercise sound business logic
our
> discretionary income.
>
> Thanks for the comments Chris, you made some great points.
>
> Veyr truly yours,
>
>                                                                The
fluffy
> one

> Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
Click here and you can even personalize these quotes.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9536/15/_/423498/_/971789447/