Re: [nafex] Fall Transplanting/ Spring Transplanting

In a message dated 11/21/00 2:25:56 PM, rocmdw@aye.net writes:

<<

Christopher Mauchline wrote:

> FALL TRANSPLANTING:
> Is there any general guide of how late dormant trees, etc. can be
> transplanted in the fall?  Is it based simply on on whether the
> temperature is above freezing and the soil workable, or is there a
> point after which in the season you shouldn't transplant?

     My response------------

     Trees may be transplanted anytime during the winter in which the ground
is not frozen.  I've done it in every month here (mid zone 6).  Never lost a
one.

     You wrote---------

> SPRING TRANSPLANTING:
> How early can this be done?  What are the criteria for determining
> this?

     My response---------

     Again when the ground is not frozen.  And the earlier planted trees
sustain less shock due to low soil temperatures.  When soil temps are over
55-60 degrees, so-called transplant shock is greater.

Ed, So. Indiana, heaven, etc. >>

Well, I am hardly an expert in this area, but I do have some information that
may be relevant.  Back in the early 1980's I was on the advisory board of the
Masschusetts Fruition Project.  We had a lobbying organization (Massachusetts
Food and Agriculture Coalition or MASSFAC) that has nudged the legislature
into a small capital appropriations mainly to get us off their back and, some
of us suspected, so we could fail and be discredited.  The funds were for
planting fruit and nut trees in public places for free public harvest.  (No,
I  did not remain in Mass. long enough to know if people are now eating from
our work, but I suppose that they a re.)  I was invited to the Citizen's
Advisory Board because of my permacultue work, and other relevant experience
with various populations, etc.  One thing we did is to evaluate certain
species for fall planting and others for spring planting.  We found that
peaches and Actinidia spp (mostly A. arguta) did well with spring planting
but had large failure rates in fall planting.  Pears, in particular, LOVED
fall planting.  Since this was about 20 years ago, I don't remember all the
species involved and where they fell in the scheme of things.  There were
lots of other factors, of course, but we would not distribute stock in the
season where it did poorly, regardess of the horiticultural skill of the
group that was going to do the planting and oversee the establishment of the
tree (or shrub or vine).

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/0/_/423498/_/975272065/