Re: [nafex] Re: airlayering and alternatives

I have read that pears were often grown on their own roots using a stoolbed.
I think that many of the large old pear trees I saw in the Tennessee valley
were own root, whereas here closer to McMinnville I think most are grafted.
Someone on this very newslist said that a friend had cut down a young
seedling tree to produce a number of ownroot trees from it.   I think that
in the long run that own root trees have advantages in preserving rare
varieties, as even if the tree is frozen out or cut down, it will come back
true.    Donna

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/423498/_/976821961/