Re: [nafex] honeylocust pods

Well, lucky, these are three of my favorite species, though I guess I have a
lot of "favorite" tree species.  Black locust rates really high with me for
the reasons youmentioned and other uses, as well as for N-fixation.  It is
controversial whether honey locust fixes N--many if not most legumes do not
I'm told by experts, but the pods are useful.  And I like thorny vegetation
it is cheap "barbed wire."  Sweetgum isn't as useful (to me) as the other
too, but it is pretty tolerant of temporary flooding and does have some
medicinal value, though I've never tried it.  Like almost all trees, it is
indeed quite beautiful, though I've never seen really intense fall color
since I moved to the south.  Obviously, I think that the other advantages are
worth it.
    As you point out, sort of, all three species are good at teaching us
humility and to watch where we are going.  Not bad lessons, all in all.

Dan H
 Barking Frogs Permaculture Center
http://barkingfrogspc.tripod.com/frames.html
or
http://www.permaculture.net/~EPTA/Hemenway.htm

The protocol for our Annual Permaculture Design Course Online is at
http://barkingfrogspc.tripod.com/protocol.html

For a copy of Barking Frogs Permaculture Center's annual letter, just issued,
email us at BarkingFrogsPC@aol.com

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html
-------